Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a trolling motor that calls for a 24v power supply. The motor has just the (2) wires (red and black). I want to wire it up so that there's a plug on the motor end and a receptacle that it plugs into on the boat.

Does a 24 volt setup require a 3 wire plug and receptacle, or can it be done with a 2 wire setup?

It seems that all the 24 volt plug and receptacle setups I've seen are 3 wire.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, you can use a 3-blade plug on a 2-wire system, you would just not use one of the contacts.

I've seen two different types of 24 volt systems. The first is a 3-wire system. One of these wires is the ground, one is for 12 volt input, and the other is for 24-volt input. When using these systems, there is usually a "series-parallel" switch somewhere on the boat so you can utilize both batteries for 12V and 24V. If there is no switch, you will only be using one of your trolling batteries when in 12V mode.

The second system I have seen is like my current system. The trolling motor has 2-wires. One is the ground and the other is for the 24V input. Just supply the power (in the correct polarity) and the motor does the rest. Of Course, you'll have to have a jumper from the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of your second battery. This will enable you to obtain 24V from 2-12V batteries.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts