pline hydrofloat

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by crg, Aug 13, 2008.

1. crg

crg multi-species angler

has anyone picked some of this up yet? wondering how well it really floats, if easier to mend than mono, allowing for more of a drag free drift while fishing spawn sacs? i prefer no stretch lines in most situation except river fishing, when i like the stretch to help absorb the power of the fish and preventing the hook from tearing out. its hard to spend $20 on a spool of line that is just going to go thru the ringer from battling steelies

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I never used it but was reading about it for the first time this morning in the Cabelas catalog on the john.:p
    I know-TMI

3. LOL..

i beleieve we call this the office....LOL I'm sure 80% of us do the same ....LOL

Frank

4. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Let me know how it is. It will be tough to switch from sunline. I love both brands but sunlines floating line has yet to break on me.

5. I have not tried it, but from what I have read about it I personnally will stick with mono for a float line. It's my understanding that the line is the same material as braid at it's core with a mono-like coating over it. As a result this line is not as thin in diameter and would not be as limp/memory resistant as true braid yet is still more so than mono float lines. Because it is essentially a braided line at its core it will have no stretch, and I personally feel that you need a line with some stretch to absorb the shock from the explosive runs of steelhead. If using this line you should also have a very long and limber rod (slow action) with a loose set smooth drag to make up for all the lost shock absorption. I have heard that the line is in fact extremely bouyant, so that teamed with it's thinner diameter should make for easier mending. Bottom line, I'd say the improved mending may help you hook into a few more fish but you're also going to have more fish throw hooks because of the no stretch.

I personally am a big fan of Optimum mono float line 12# test. It has 12# breaking strength but only the diameter of 8# test (thin and strong). It has very good bouyancy, low memory, and a good amount of stretch. I have only ever seen it at Erie Outfitters.

All mono float lines eventually lose their bouyancy as they get dirty. The line actually absorbs dirt from the water, and it's this dirt that will weigh the line down causing it to no longer float. You can buy line cleaning pads that help to restore most of the lost buoyancy.

John

6. Looks like Siglon F and FF will be discontinued:(

Found this on another forum:

"The USA distributor of Siglon F and FF is no longer importing this line, as Sunline has discontinued the F and FF line, except for special orders. FishUSA purchased most of the F and all the FF, and will sell through this in the next couple months. Get it while you can, as FishUSA is not certain they will special order the line, due to the high minimum quantities required for the special order, and a lead time of 4 to 6 months.

Thanks,

Eric"

Another forum:

I can verify this as I am that distrivutor that Eric was talking about.

I am not longer going to distribute Sunline for a multitude of reasons, but the fact remains that I will not be getting any more Siglon FF or F ever again. Sunline is opening their own warehouse in California, under the Sunline America name and they are not going to stock it there.

This is an example of a great company getting their start in Steelhead and Salmon fishing and then once they get established they move on to Bass and then forget what got them started in the first place. I apologize to anyone that has become fans of these lines as I had no idea that something like this was going to happen. I was blind sided by these decisions, but that is business and since I am not a typical businessman, I got ditched. Simple. I care too much about fishermen to do well in this business and I am paying the price now.

I will still try to keep some form of Ashima going until I go bankrupt and also Drennan wants to step up and grow the US market and so far they are standing behind me, so I should be getting some of Drennan's line in stock soon. They are very good too.

Thanks to anyone that actually supported me in the past, I appreciate all of it more than anyone will ever know. I am not going to be selling some products around my region to the bass markets of course, but I will always work my {horse's rear} off to keep great steelhead equipment available to those that got me my start.

Also as a note too, I resigned my position in the G. Loomis pro staff as well as they are another comany that does not wish to appreciate what I have done for them in the great lakes region. This is another example of putting your heart and soul and MONEY into products offered by some companies and not getting anything out of it. They may say different, but I did not get anything free from Loomis and spent literally $10,000 of my own money promiting their stuff at seminars and trade shows all over the country, so if anyone wants to ever do what I did, watch out, they all have short memories and want you to pay for everything while they make millions.

I can verify this as I am that distrivutor that Eric was talking about.

I am not longer going to distribute Sunline for a multitude of reasons, but the fact remains that I will not be getting any more Siglon FF or F ever again. Sunline is opening their own warehouse in California, under the Sunline America name and they are not going to stock it there.

This is an example of a great company getting their start in Steelhead and Salmon fishing and then once they get established they move on to Bass and then forget what got them started in the first place. I apologize to anyone that has become fans of these lines as I had no idea that something like this was going to happen. I was blind sided by these decisions, but that is business and since I am not a typical businessman, I got ditched. Simple. I care too much about fishermen to do well in this business and I am paying the price now.

I will still try to keep some form of Ashima going until I go bankrupt and also Drennan wants to step up and grow the US market and so far they are standing behind me, so I should be getting some of Drennan's line in stock soon. They are very good too.

Thanks to anyone that actually supported me in the past, I appreciate all of it more than anyone will ever know. I am not going to be selling some products around my region to the bass markets of course, but I will always work my {horse's rear} off to keep great steelhead equipment available to those that got me my start.

Also as a note too, I resigned my position in the G. Loomis pro staff as well as they are another comany that does not wish to appreciate what I have done for them in the great lakes region. This is another example of putting your heart and soul and MONEY into products offered by some companies and not getting anything out of it. They may say different, but I did not get anything free from Loomis and spent literally $10,000 of my own money promiting their stuff at seminars and trade shows all over the country, so if anyone wants to ever do what I did, watch out, they all have short memories and want you to pay for everything while they make millions.

7. A group of us tried it and it has its place on bigger water for bigger fish in warm temps when using heavier rods. Keeping in mind it's a coated braid which is thinner than mono for comparable breaking strength which causes it to bed into itself under load of a fish (or snag) and it freezes to itself in the winter. To eliminate the first problem, you'd need to run 30-40 pound which if you snag above the float, you'll have to cut off or run the risk of breaking your rod. Personally, I'm not a fan for the reasons above, but if you like braid, you'll like this stuff.