close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please help me buy a new computer

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Orlando, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

My 7 year old Gateway is way overdue to be replaced. I'm not into gaming, just need something to do word processing, surf the internet, and burn a few music CD's, the dinosaur I have know creeps at a snails pace. I know absolutly nothing about what I need so please be specific as possible, heck I'll even let you pick one for me. Also thinking about a all in one printer /scanner. Many thanks

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Heres one for 538 dollars. I customized it a little but, like it doesn't come with a monitor (if you're really trying not to spend much) and also comes with an all-in-one printer.

This will just give you an idea of what it's going to cost you. I'm sure another member can get your something of the same quality for less :)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=D30PF1&s=dhs

EDIT: You'll need to customize it yourself so you can see what I did. Basically remove the monitor and add the least expensive all-in-one printer. That will bring you up to $538.

It has a CD-RW and will more than good enough for what you like to do.

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I don't mind spending the money ,I'm not on a real tight budget I just don't want to pay a bunch extra for options I don't need. I'll stay away from the Dell printers as the ink cartridges are $50.00 a piece and noone makes aftermarket cartridges. Thanks

4. catking

catking Banned

" fastlane " on this site builds computers. Maybe shoot him a pm and ask his advice ?? He knows his stuff ;) .....THE CATKING !!!

5. Orlando , I could fix you up if you live in northeast ohio. I custom build them so basically I can build you whatever you want. E-mail me if interested.

6. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Thanks for the offer but I live about 1/2 south of Indian Lake (west central Ohio) Any opinions are welcome though. Thanks again

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

we have 2 dell's here at the office and have had no trouble with them. We don't use the Dell printers though! Like I said we have no trouble with them and they work wonders for our office stuff compared to other one's we have went through. Other's we replaced after a yr or so and the Dell's we have had for over 2 1/2 yrs now.

I am not really trying to sell ya a dell, I am just relaying our experience with them.

I have a buddy that builds computer's that says dell's are junk, but he thinks unless he build's it that they are all junk.

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

moved to computer talk

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have sevearl of the cheap hewlitt packard pc's from walmart they have always worked fine for me.

10. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Try this website, it'll help you and is generally under most retail store prices..

11. I buy all my computer parts from www.newegg.com and then just put the PC together from components. It's sort of a hobby and the end result is always better quality than what you get when you buy the standard run of the mill PC you would buy from Dell or BestBuy (for the most part). It's usually a cheaper route to go as well.

12. catlover

catlover Banned

Just a thought.
    A lot of people trade in regularly, to stay state of the art. At a reputable shop you can buy a good system for a decent price. Last week I saw a 1 gig system with dvd/cd-rw, 256meg ram and 20gig hard drive. It came loaded with XP and a full office package for $180. He only offered 30 day warranty, but still not bad.
    Catz

13. Final word of advice , go to a custom builder near you. Go to one that comes highly recommended by your friends. Failing that , go to one that will furnish you with references. This is not the cheapest method , but any reputable builder will furnish you with a name brand motherboard like Asus , Abit , Gigabyte. These manufacturers turn out consistently good boards. The motherboard and power supply are two of the most important parts that you choose. Big manufacturers ( Dell , HP , Gateway ) use under powered power supplies and lowest cost motherboards awarded to lowest bidder on their specs. Also the custom machine allows for an easy upgrade path when the time comes. Around here I very seldom sell people their first or second computer , usually by the 3rd computer they realize there are better options. Since you live in central ohio I would not build you one. I do all my own service calls. So I have no vested reason for this advice. I have been around computers since the floppy was your only drive.Custom is the only way to go IF you find a good independent builder.

14. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

We use Dell computers. Don't simply look at processor speed to determine how fast a computer will be. It is important to look at the Ram and side bar buss speed. I wouldn't have anything less then 512 MB of DDRAM and look for a faster buss speed as well. If you want to get even faster try a RAID 0 configuration (striping). It uses two hard drives and records half the info you save on each hard drive. The best example I can think of to tell you why it is faster would be the addresses on a street. If you knew you had to go to address 1000 and there were houses on only one side of the street you would have to go twice as far to get to it as you would if there were houses on both sides of the street. There are disadvantages to a Raid 0 configuration too though (double the hard drives to potentially go bad). What may be most important to you though is your Internet Connection type. If cable is available and you don't have it, get it. There is no comparing phone line connection vs cable connection for speed. Visit a local shop also give Dell and other companies a call and explain to them your goals. If you post the specs on a couple of the computers you are considering I'm sure there are many on the sight that can help you sort out the main differences.