Ohio Game Fishing banner

Please help 2000 johnson 115 hp

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Deer hunter 1 
#1 ·
My 2000 johnson 115 hp starts great and idles great but at half to wide open throttle I get a shutter or miss so bad that sometimes it wont even get the boat to plane out. Iv replaced plugs and primer ball and have new carb bowels coming cause they looked warped. Is there anything else I should look at? Any help would be appropriated thanks. Also note even with the new primer ball it would never get hard. Thanks again.

#19 ·
I had a 99 Johnson 115 2 stroke that developed an intermittent miss when running. Marine dealer couldn't find anything. Turned out this motor had an inline filter where the fuel line attached to the front of the motor. It was a small funnel shaped filter with a screen in it. It fit into the motor so you couldn't really see it. It had some dirt particles trapped in it and they would block the fuel flow at higher RPM's. Cleaned it out and never had the problem again. Check to see if your motor has this type of filter. After I found it, I was pretty PO'd that the mechanic charged me $100 and didn't find it - the usual BS - let it run for hours and it never missed.

#21 ·
On the VRO system - my boat had one and I never had any problem with it in 20 years- very convenient. I believe the early VRO systems had problems but they were redesigned and it corrected the problems. The thing is if the VRO quits working you may or may not get a warning signal and if you don't shut down the motor quickly you can ruin it. I have a 4 stroke now so don't have to worry about this problem or fumes at slow speed but do have to do oil changes like on a car.

#24 ·
I have a 2001 carb 200HP. It acts like that when I have to empty the water in the bottom of the filter as others have mentioned. I replaced my VRO, 2 years ago and have not used ethanol gasoline since. I was told the ethanol separates and kills the gas lines and VRO.

Also, I was told not to use any deep cycle batteries in the system. These engines run hot and need strong current. I had to replace my EMM then and ignition system also. Because of the deep cycle battery on the house side. Once I replaced all those, she purrs like a tiger again.

Rickerd

#29 ·
The new primer bulb never getting full is a big clue to something not right in your fuel supply system. Maybe an air leak? Can you follow the fuel line from tank to primer and verify it is air tight? What about tank, any air leak or seal issue at the pickup? Until you verify these things, I wouldn't mess with your motor because you cannot know how the motor will act until you can provide fuel to the max. The oil is added after the primer on yours right? So you cannot judge oil amount either until you know the fuel supply is generous.

Rickerd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.