Please don't shoot the TROPHY bucks!

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Lundy, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The practice of shooting only trophy bucks is detrimental to the continued volubility of Ohio deer herd health.

It is very difficult to determine the genetic superiority of a young buck in comparison to one genetically inferior. By the time a buck reaches 3-1/2 years old the genetic traits of a buck of growing into a "trophy" is readily obvious, even to a untrained observer. The killing of these 3-1/2 to 6-1/2 year old "trophy" bucks removes them from the reproduction cycle and the passing of their superior genes to their offspring. The competition for breeding the does is passed down to younger less genetically viable bucks thus leading to a degradation of the overall deer herd. The removal of the "trophy" has an immediate impact on the current breeding cycle in the year harvested and the subsequent years of breeding viability removed.

Deer farms have shown beyond any doubt that you can grow genetically superior deer with tendencies of massive antler growth by selective breeding with the best deer stock. Many in the hunting community take an approach that is 180 degrees opposed to this proven record of success of genetic breeding. By targeting only the largest antlered deer in the herd they are reducing the continued propagation of these superior genes throughout the deer herd. It could easily be argued that "trophy" hunters have a negative impact on the future of Ohio's deer heard health.

;) :D :D :D

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Yes and please throw back all crappie over 13". Fillet only those < 9". This will help ensure the continued viability of our crappie fisheries throughout the state.
    The question is: what are we to do with all those 9-13" crappie we catch????

3. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

And furthermore, the shooting of does and small bucks reduces the population so now we nevah gonna see no mo' deers!

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Dont Shoot Any Deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant! :p

5. and only date the ugly chicks!!!!!

6. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Forgive me Lundy,for I have sinned:) :) :)
    Thanks for showing me the error of my ways....yep..its forks and baskets for me from now on.:p
    [​IMG]

7. lmao lewis,,,,, nice set up!!!

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

In your defense Lewis you did shoot the two miniature deer that are on the desk!

9. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Lewzer...they are actually twins that fell out when I field dressed Buck#2!:) :) :)
    Its pretty rare,but it is starting to happen....funny how mother nature works.:)
    There are so many does and little bucks being killed that the mature bucks are now taking over the mating and birthing duties.:) :)

10. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

Pound for pound that little one has a heckuva rack!

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks for a great post,kim:D:D:D

12. Dont shot the trophy buck or any deer.....Well I've done that for the last five years, so I've done my part, but I think it's my turn to harvest something after a five year draught....:)

13. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I know I have wrote this before, but I'll say it again. The last time I hunted PA, out of the seven of us hunting we all seen 10 bucks in one day. And all were nothing but small inferior basket racks and spikes. If the genetics's are not there and the nutrition isn't there, you'll never get big bucks. And I totally agree with you Lewis. The big bucks where I hunted in Pa got shot out over the years with the 4 point one side rule and the inferior bucks do the breeding. Leaving there genes in the pool.

14. Oh geeze! Ignorance has reached its maximum!

15. And please, please don't shoot the big pheasants and doves and bunny wabbits and squirrels. I want them for myself cause I hang them on the wall to make my balls grow bigger.

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

He has a point you know.........

17. So let the big bucks walk, so there will be more big bucks for us not to shoot.

I think I've gone cross-eyed.

18. Absolutely a great thread, haha. I love it!

19. Lundy u must b a an animal lover or a hippy. LoL

20. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

Lewis you did good by shoot the deer that carried those little ones. That would have hurt that doe if she had to push out those horns!!!!! Nice collection there. :p
    p.s. The little ones are easier to drag out!:p