Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kokosing River Rocks!!!
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an awesome afternoon on the lake just past the beach in the next cove, Caught 8 Saugeye total. Kept 2 and lost 1 really big one. 1st time n the lake with my canoe and more then happy. was drifting from buoys to shore back and forth using shad rap. tried to stay equal from shore to buoys but in a canoe a little difficult. what amazed me was every catch was right on the surface. 1 bit as soon as my lure hit the water. I didn't catch a single fish deeper then 6 feet maybe. according to my fishfinder it was 12-15 feet deep. 1 smallmouth worth mentioning but I was after the eyes.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That's good news. I thought they may turn on in October but sooner the better. What time in the afternoon were you hitting them?
I'm hoping to get my kayak out there soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice report! I live in Cincinnati, but am travelling to take a friend fishing on his hometown lake (Knox and PH). He doesn't own a boat, and has limited fishing time this year.

Can you suggest a few baits to try at both lakes for the coming weekend trip? I typically fish for bass down here, and plan to do the same there.

Thanks in advance!

·
Kokosing River Rocks!!!
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keepinitreal: I got there at 2pm, by 2:15 I had the 1st one in the boat, I fished till 5pm. I talked to several guys who got skunked trolling & fishing deeper water. I just stayed in the same area working it back and forth over and over for 3 hours.

uncadave: Knox is just a few miles away for me, it is the closest lake to me besides apple valley which is good but a private lake. Great bass and catfishing there. I have heard they have muskie but have yet to see one. My wife and I however love the crappie action on the lake.

·
Kokosing River Rocks!!!
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for baits. at pleasant I was using rapala shad raps (i always carry fresh bait with me as i use my cast net on the kokosing) But keep an arsenal of artificals with me. For knox nothing beats a 7" purple twist tail worm & spinners but purple worms all the way for me.

I make many of my own lures in my shed, In the stumps I use basically a hula popper on knox, mine is slightly modified but not much difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for this info. Approached the guys on another website, they said jigs and tubes at Knox...gonna try that as well.

Leaving Saturday at 3:30 AM to fish all day, will report my success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts