close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pleasant Hill next week

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ashtonmj, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Afternoon everyone,

I used to be a regular poster here several years ago before I moved away from Ohio so it's been a while. Searched some posts but not much recent that can help me out. Has anyone fished Pleasent Hill or the river coming into the lake or below the spillway lately? I've got my usual spots and techniques but it's been about 4 years since I've fished the lake. Any information will be greatly appreciated and I'll post a report after I get home.

2. baiter10

baiter10 Just keepin' ya honest.

what are you going after? i live in ashland and frequent the lake.

3. Saugeyes, catfish, and panfish. I may fish the western half of the lake for bass but it's not really a priority nor that effective in a pontoon full of people.

4. baiter10

Ashton I'll try and help as much as I can here. Saugeyes are slow right now with all the boat traffic, try late night or early morning for those around the beach and launch ramps. The best sport I can tell you for cats is on the east side of the lake....there is a road called baron road that ends into a fishing pull off, there is an old bridge foundation there I have seen many nice catfish pulled out there. As for the crappies, I'm havin some troubles with those myself. I did real well earlier this year, totaling right around 150. My best advice is to find some brush piles and fish them. I have done pretty descent on the west side past the launch ramp (covert rd) night fishing under lights in the past, pulled a 14" out of there last year. (It helps to working there ;) ) I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions!

5. baiter10

i apologize, for the cats that should be on the west side of the lake also but on the southern shoreline.

6. I went there Saturday June 28th. We got in the water around 7am and fished till 3pm. We caught a lot of LM and some smallies and a few Channel Cats. VERY good day for us. I was impressed. I think it was because of that Cold Front coming in. The fish were very Active.

7. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

I was out sunday and Pulled alot of small eyes. nothing bigger them 13inch. The lake was really busy,

8. Thanks for the repsones. Sounds like the same places still produce fish. I'll definately be doing the dusk and dawn fishing to avoid the nuts on the west side of the lake. Just talked to a buddy of mine that did some fishery surveys in the upper part of the lake recently and he told me they got 4 36"+ musky, a 6lb s-eye, and a 40lb flathead. I'll be fishing heavy for a few days and hope to get a report in around the 6th.

Shrimp still work for the channels? Anyone trolling for the saugeyes or drifting jigs and bladebaits still?

9. baiter10

Hey, just went out this morning trolling cranks and harnesses for about an hour. Didn't even get a pull back. :( It was about the best day you could ever ask for, for saugeye fishing...overcast and rain off and on. It was really neat though right before a one of the many rain showers we got the lake looked like it was boiling! The white bass were going absolutely crazy!!! So needless to say we pulled out the trolling gear and went after em. What a blast! caught about 30, nothing real big, but hey at least we werent :S .

We also tried 4 different spots for crappie and caught one 8 inch fish. I dont know what to tell you there man. Im sorry I can't seem to find those things right now. I did get a tip that people have been doing pretty ok on the eyes. Dont have any other info for ya, thats just what i heard. Your coming in at a bad time though, July 4th weekend is gonna be BUSY. I just put out a ton of reserve signs yesterday. A lot of people say boat traffic doesn't affect saugeye, and I say come to pleasant hill and you'll change your mind lol.

One of the ladies at the bait store said she and her hubby have been doing descent on perch but I still am yet to get her spot. Maybe I should pay her off hahaha. Well thats it for now if I go again this week ill post. Lake erie doesn't show any signs of settling down soon so Ill be stuck with p hill.

10. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

find weeds in 12ft of water and start jigin!!!!!!

11. Haven't been there in a while, but used to be a decent white crappie lake. This time of year, try slow-trolling the breaks and weed lines in 12-14' of water using two jigs per line.

12. Didn't get out as much as I wanted which was a shame because that was the least crowded I've seen the lake on a summer weekend/holiday in 15 years. One quick morning of dragging crawler harnesses and rapalas around the humps in front of the beach got me nothing. Didn't give the s-eye much thought, the day of consistant rain ruined my plans completely. The west end of the lake wasn't too bad for largemouth Thursday and Saturday. I had one about 2.5 lb throw the hook as I reached down to grab him, caught 3, 12"ers, a few slab bluegills and two 8" yellow perch. All came from shoreline trees and emergent vegetation and were caught on a black rooster tail or a lew's speed minnow (the cheap version of a pins minnow). I saw someone in a bass boat throwing a white spinnerbait or buzzbait picking up LMB every 3rd cast on Friday morning along the southwest bank.