close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plastics

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by irishfisherman, Aug 28, 2004.

1. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Can anyone give me any good advice on using plastics, I havent used them before, simply because i dont know how to fish or rig them, I mainly use inline spinners or the likes of... I bought some worms and soft craw plastics with the intention of using them, but havent yet :rolleyes:

2. Irish, check out bassresource.com there is some pretty good info. on there

3. CreekFloater

CreekFloater Have Water, Will Fish

Hey Irish! I used to sound just like you do, but what I did was read up a little bit and then go out with nothing but plastics and forced myself to learn the feel and touch required to sense what is sometimes a very light bite. When you first start, a calm day, some patience and just watching the line is as good as anything. Sometimes what you think is nothing is really a hawg just kind of gumming that plastic, while other times they nail it and run with it. When in doubt, SET THE HOOK. Even if you miss, you can always say the fish aren't real aggressive. That way we never have to blame ourselves. Practice, Practice, Practice I think that has made be better, but I still have a way to go to compare with some of the more talented folks here. Good Luck.

4. There is no doubt that plastics require some touch to master them and they can be extremely deadly in the right hands. I consider myself decent with plastics but I have a buddy that can outfish me every time we fish and he uses plastics almost entirely. I think one of the best ways to learn about them is to take them to a farm pond that you know has bass and as Creekfloater said just practice. A farm pond is a nice place to start because they seem to always work there.

I would suggest buying a few worms in a couple of colors as well as tubes in a couple or three colors. The worm colors that seem to work for me are purple, black, and black w/shad. There are a lot of proven manufacturers out there. I think once you decide on the one you are going with it then boils down to confidence in what you are doing. As far as tubes there seems to be more of a range of colors that get widely used on tubes. Many of the color patterns that work will mimic crawdads or shad/bait fish.

The techniques employed on either type are so broad that it is almost a matter of whatever works, stick with it. You can use them in so many ways and speeds, depths, etc. It would take forever to cover presentation techniques unless one were to concentrate on one method and setting.

5. irishfisherman

I appreciate the replies guys.. thanks :D

6. I just took two of my boys with me last night to a small farm pond for a bit of bassin'. They are only 5 and 8 so their fishing skills are a bit low. However, I rigged them both with a tube jig and they started catching fish. The 8 year old nailed three or four with it. The 5 year old landed one and got the other one out of the water before shaking loose. His problem was that he did not try to "rip his lips off" as I explain it to them. You usually do need to get a very solid hookset with them to bury the hook and just to get the lure turned in the mouth to get the hook positioned. I caught half a dozen myself before changing to topwater.

I thought I would mention this as testimony that if the conditions are suitable these lures are relatively easy to catch on to. And this kind of fishing can provide experience with the feel needed on larger deeper waters with the tubes.

I hope this helps.

7. irishfisherman

Man... i think thats just what the doctor ordered LOL i need to find me a farm pond somewhere, that i know is gonna produce catches so i can get comfortable and confident using plastics before trying them somewhere else

Again thankyou

p.s if you know of any nice ponds that i could go and seek permsission to fish in, i'd be thankful