Plastic fabrication???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Toxic, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Looking for some advice. I would like to make a couple of trays/shelves for my boat. I went to a local place and the wanted an outrageous price to do what I wanted. I would like to make 2 boxes about 48" that are three side, shaped like a "U". That's it. They wanted 70 bucks for the 1/4" plastic and to bend it.

Does anyone know ,or could you recommend someone that works with this stuff? I'm in Trumbull County.

2. What kind of plastic, and could you give a few more details on shape? I’m not 100% sure I understand. I might be able to help, but with the price of plastic these days, $70 isn’t too bad at all. Resin prices are more volatile than gasoline prices. :rolleyes:

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I agree, $70 don't buy much these days, especially since you're having something custom-fabbed.
    (Cost of material, machine, operator, insurance, overhead etc...)

For comparison, here is a link to a 24" x 48" sheet of white poly plastic on Grainger...$29.30/ea.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1YXZ3

4. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I am not sure of the type of plastic it was guys. I believe the sales lady called it white plexi. Sorry I am not really familiar with the product. I wanted a material like a cutting board instead of a shiny plastic. We have a surplus junk store nearby and they had a piece of the 4'x4' white plexi for 9 bucks. Can I cut plastic on my table saw? What type of glue welds it together?

5. Search on here I think there was a old post about someone making some cleaning boards and had nice pics. You can cut it on your table saw, you could heat it around something if you have access to an oven big enough or a heat gun. I use to make braces and we used a pizza oven for large pieces, to shape the plastics around casts. I'm not sure if the kind you want would heat up well or not.

6. Would a piece of 3" Schedule 40 PVC conduit (gray) or water pipe (white) cut in half lengthwise work? You could get 4 "trays" out of a 10' stick. Glue on some end caps for the ends. There's a wide variety of pipe mounting hardware, ei., clamps, brackets, straps for mounting to a structure or gunwale. Just a thought. You'd probably need access to a bandsaw or something. It's very easy to cut, though.

7. I did a post last spring of smoked plastic which I got from work off some cabinets, still has the sticky paper on it. I've still got it and come and get it, its yours. Approx 20" x 48", let me know I'll see how thick it is. It's in the barn and its raining right now.

8. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I'm going to stick to white. I appreciate the offer though. I can pick the white plexi like I stated for 9 bucks at the junk store.

I want to make a cabinet type tray. So I do not think this would work the way I want .

9. As far as glue goes try ambroid PROWELD it actually welds the plastic together very strong joint works on ABS, styrene, butyrate, acrylic, and Plexiglas one bottle will do ALOT of joining :)

10. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Can I buy that at home depot or something similar?

11. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

hey jess, wheres this store at? id like to check it out. thanks.

12. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Star Supply in Youngstown. It's on Mahoning Ave. Just past the University exit off of RT680.

13. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

thanks, im going to check it out and i promise i wont buy your plexi glass, really i promise:rolleyes: :p

14. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

LOL, there was plenty to go around. If and when I get this project done. I'll send you some pictures for your boat. By the way, did you ever put those rod holders on the sides of you boat? I got mine on and so far so good. Keeps stuff out of the way.