close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

planted sweetcorn

Discussion in 'Home & Garden' started by vib-E, Apr 26, 2017.

1. planted 4lbs of peaches n cream sweetcorn this evening..lets see how first half comes along

2. wow hope it doesnt get frosted on!

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

It will be fine as long as the second set of leaves aren't up and the frost is mild.

One year I planted some of my corn in peat pots in March and grew it inside hoping to get mid-June corn. It was over a foot tall when I planted them in the garden in mid-May. It barely made a difference compared to the seed I planted in the garden at the same time. Maybe a week earlier.

Szalays in the national park should be plowing and planting soon. They are usually the earliest in NEO. Good luck.

4. negativity.....lol it aint gonna frost any more...but i am a gamblin man.

5. I took a chance and planted one tomato close to the house with a south exposure and it's loving it. The bricks from the house are keeping it warm at night and It even put out fruit buds. I'll see what happens when we get into the cool rainy trend coming.

6. Frost won't hurt it. The problem is soil temps. Planting early doesn't do much good if the soil temps aren't up yet.

7. i had some bean seeds left over from last year. I took a chance and planted a short row. They are about 3 inches high. nothing ventured nothing gained!

8. will be wanting to visit vib e corn patch in a couple months:rolleyes:

9. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Just curious, vib-E, but what did you pay for seed? My buddy planted Bodacious last year and it was phenomenal! Went back to the mill for this year's seed and they wanted 60 bucks a pound!

10. wow!!!!! peaches n cream i paid $10.99 a pound.ambrosia runs 12.99 a pound.most i ever paid..u sure it wasnt roundup ready sweetcorn seed..i got my seed at merit seeds in berlin ohio....corn be ready roughly july 18....those who want fresh corn.

11. u can visit.but dont visit like the coons do......hehehe.:p

12. buckeyebowman

Hmmm, I don't know and I don't think he'd really want that for just a home garden. I'll have to ask him. I actually found a packet of Bodacious in a seed display case. They wanted $2.79 for 14 grams! A little quick math works out to almost 90 bucks a pound! Unreal!

13. yeah i dont know.but if thatseed grows.it better get a dozen ears per stalk..lol

14. buckeyebowman

Hey, checked out that Merit Seed's website. Nice! And the prices were great! My buddy's work schedule is whack! Thought he might get rained out today, but I didn't hear from him. I'll call him tomorrow and tell him about it. I'm guessing they ship. It's also nice they have 1/4 and 1/2lb packages available. Thanks!

vib-E likes this.
  15. buckeyebowman

Talked to my buddy today, and they didn't want $60/lb for Bodacious, only $40! Still, quite a bit over the $11.75/lb Merit asked! So, he's going to check them out.

vib-E likes this.
  16. i think frost is the last thing id worry about at this point.lol.how bout enuf of the cool wet weather

17. corns finally comming up.lol

18. Pull up a lawn chair and watch it bust through the earth, the perch fishing sucks!

vib-E and Lazy 8 like this.
  19. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Uncle Timbo.....secret agent.....

I have a question for you farmers that rely on Mother Nature for water. How deep do you plant your corn or for that matter, your soybeans?
    Because you aren't taking the garden hose out there and supplementing MN?

20. my corn is planted 2in deep.actually last year was so dry we have a water truck where i work i pulled it beside the feild and hosed it down a few times.took a few hrs each time but it sure didnt hurt.lol i dont do beans cant help u there

as for the fishing...i yet havent had time to dock my boat up on erie for them perch...glad i aint missing much.

Lazy 8 likes this.