Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planting trees have been a huge part of my job the last couple of years. In the Upper Cuyahoga Watershed,., planted over 3,000 hardwood seedlings by hand, ( Dibble). They were purchased from Mussers in Indiana, PA. . Species included: White Oak, Hickory, Walnut, & Sugar Maple. Akso picked up 75 - 5 gallons of Walnuts distrubuting them Lake Rickwell. Next year, we want to expland to understory species including: Dogwoos, Witch Hazel, PawPaw, Redbud & Service Berry.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Many years ago I helped plant 8000 pine trees by hand, using a dibble. Perhaps that’s why I sometimes get lower back pain today?
I respect your motivation and hard work sir.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Wow, if I had a dollar for every tree I have planted I could buy a vacation property or something. When I was a teenager I worked for a private wildlife area and literally planted 10s of thousands of trees and shrubs. Most of those with a dibble bar. Then after college I worked at Ohio division of Forestry's Marietta State nursery. While in college I worked at a state forest and harvested many seeds. After that, I worked for MIch-O-Tenni Nurseries for 5 years in the field and propagation unit. I ran a grafting crew there for fruit trees and worked a grape cutting crew for rooted grape cuttings for wineries and retail sells, as well as worked the growing field in the summer. We'd annually do 10,000+ fruit trees plus many others varieties. Then I left all that for a 30+ year career with ODNR and returned for another 5 years of garden center work at Lowes, in retirement. I wish I knew how many trees and shrubs I have planted, probably 100s of thousands if not a million. I still drive by that first farm and many of the pine and walnut trees are approaching timber size. Makes you feel pretty good to look and say, "I planted those trees". I always felt good about planting trees. I know what you mean John, it's fulfilling.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SS must have tree sap in his veins & bark in his skin

Reactions: Muddy

·
Registered
Standard tackle, kayak, v hull John boat with 8 horse outboard
59 Posts
I spent 14 years with our local park system and one of my duties was managing an annual free tree giveaway program. The goal was to get people in the city to plant trees to shade their property, reduce cooling costs, reduce runoff (insert long list of good tree reasons). These were 5 gallon quality trees. A fair number of folks were happy to have them and the program got a good 20k trees into the city over 30 years or so. But every year we had a bunch of leftovers and literally could not give them away. So I'd plant dozens in parks, right of ways, abandoned lots...anywhere we could find. Lots of them are doing really well and look great.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I plant hundreds of tree seedlings on our farm every year. It does feel very good to watch them grow. I miss the state nursery in Marietta. They had really nice trees at a great price. My yard is planted in a perimeter wind brake of White Pines from the Marietta nursery. I buy from the county SWCD sale and Musser now. Part of my USDA CRP contract is in trees and bushes. They paid me to plant them and then pay me a rental rate for that ground every year.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up a few dozen Butternuts today. (They're a cousin of the Walnut... only sweeter). Gonna try to propagate them. Hope to have the grandkids help plant some too.

Food Terrestrial plant Plant Natural foods Flowering plant

Brown Plant Food Ingredient Wool

Food Hand Plant Fruit Finger

Plant Terrestrial plant Food Wood Flower

1 - 10 of 10 Posts