close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Planning Fishing Trip for next year

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BuckeyeAngler, Jun 27, 2005.

1. BuckeyeAngler

BuckeyeAngler Love to be on the Water

My buddies and I are in the very early stages of planning a trip to Quetico Provincial Park/Boundary Waters Canoe Area for next summer. Its just going to be 3-4 of us and our dads. Hopefully we can experience one great fishing trip before we leave college and enter the real world. My dad went on a trip there and had a blast but that was close to 10 years ago. I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction (Outfitters, entry points, lakes, etc) Thanks.

2. Man that place is AWSOME up there. I dont have time right now but will give you lots info. Be sure to check back tomorrow, I will get a few good posts on here tonight for ya. I have to be at work at midnight tonight so I'll write up some good stuff for ya while I'm here. You will love it up there. Its funny that you say you want a good trip coming out of college, my first trip was with my big brother, little brother and my dad. My older bro graduated college and my little bro high school in the same week then we left the day after graduation for our trip.

3. Do a search for boundary waters and you will see my post.

AND

http://www.quietjourney.com

And I will post my trip report after I get back from my trip this fall.

When are planning on going?
    How remote do you want to be?
    Do you have most of your own gear, or are you renting it?

4. Here is a link to anothe post with some great BW info
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29698&page=2&pp=10

Voyageur North Outfitters are great!

also check out www.canoecountry.com

Let me know what ever else I can do to help you out. You will love it up there. One thing you should do is give yourself some time on the way back or the way up to explore the north shore of Lake Superior, it is AMAZING! Some of the views from the cliffs are just awsome and waterfalls really neat sights along rt 61 heading east out of Duluth, Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock light house are the 2 that I remember most. You could make a whole trip just exploring the north shore.

5. Hey RW, did you decide on an entry point and route yet?

6. The trip as planned right now for late September is,
    Day1
    Enter at Fall lake, Portage to Newton lake, portage to pipestone and make camp
    Day2
    Side trip at Pipstone to Jackfish bay OR portage south to another of Basswood’s bays
    Day3
    Break camp and continue to Basswood Lake, camp
    Day4
    Prairie portage and continue to sucker lake
    Day5
    Newfound lake to Moose Lake and pull out

With out any side trips, we will travel 36 miles in 5 days, with the longest portage being a little over a 1000 yards. This should be a very easy trip, according to the books I have, it would be possible to do in 3 days.

Another member of my group is supposed to be selecting an outfitter, but that hasn’t happened, yet. www.redrockoutfitting.com, is looking good.

7. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I am planning a trip to Boundary waters about a year from now. right now it's just me and my son who will be 16 by that time.

8. http://www.vnorth.com/
    These guys were great! They have really nice bunkhouse for like 10 or 15 bucks a person if you need a place to stay the night before or after your trip.

RW, cant help you much with that area, never been there. Have heard that Basswood is a great smallie lake but they allow motor boats with up to 25 hp. If you are looking to go to the Basswood area I would get a tow boat to take you from Moose lake up to Praire Portage and then pick you up at the end of your trip. I paddled back from Knife lake to moose going through the Sucker and New Found chain and it was very busy with motor boat traffic and would not do it again. The tow boat was great, they take you right through the motor boat zone.

Seaturd, have you been there before? Any idea of what area you want to go to? I'll help out any way I can.

9. BuckeyeAngler

BuckeyeAngler Love to be on the Water

Thanks guys. Its reassuring knowing that I have some sources to turn to when I have questions. When my dad took his trip 10 years ago they used Zup's Fishing Resort & Canoe Outfitters on Lac La Croix (www.zupsresort.com) so I'm assuming I'll start my research there. Once I know more details I can start asking more specific questions, but I have currently have a few.... what would you say is the best number of people for a group? how far in advance should I book my trip with an outfitter? Thanks again guys and I'll be back with more specifics later on.

10. No problem.

I considered running the route in reverse, but I would be running against the prevailing winds. I would rather paddle the entire route with the prevailing winds. It is only 36 miles on 5 days. I did 7 miles today at Hoover in an old aluminum canoe. 7 miles in an Grumman aluminum hunter. In a tripper, I think 7 miles a day should be a breeze.

I don’t think the motors will be a big issue in mid September. Not to mention, this will be the first trip for 2 of the three of us. Having someone with a motor around may not be a bad thing.

Twistertail, what time of year was your trip?

This trip is also designed for my bad back. I can spend the days paddling, but would prefer limited carrying of the gear.

Even as inept as fisherman as I am, according to the other people I have been talking to, should b e able to catch dinner. I will worry about catching the monster next year.

11. BTW, I didn't mention the best thing about going this route.

I can fish for Bass, Trout, NP, and wally.