Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has come tons of times so here it is again. I've been fishing Erie out of Ashtabula or Conny with my 2 downriggers, and 4 rods using dipsys. I have had pretty good success so far. I bought a dual planer board mast a few years ago and I never put it on my boat. I have been told that I will catch more fish on the planers than on my dipsys. My boat comes in at just under 22'. It is pretty tight with 3 guys on it. How are your guys programs working? Are you catching more on one or the other. Should I stick with my program? Should I put up the mast and suck it up? Help me out. Your answers will persuade me to stick with my program or switch up. Thanks in advance.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
On my boat I am comfortable running 5 lines. Four on dipsys and one straight off the back. Any more than that and I would probably go with the boards. If I don't have to use them, I won't. Never fish with more than three in the boat so the mast and boards never make it out of the garage.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
What are the typical depths you are targeting?? If > 40"....then it might be difficult to get presentations down that deep off big boards. I guess you could use big snap weights and such, or run sectional cores or full cores.

Big boards are great when you need to get a lot of lines in the water. I salmon fish a lot, and my friends will use them when targeting fish in the top 30' of the water column, but for deeper fish, they use their inlines, dipseys, and riggers.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,465 Posts
I hate to say it but it all depends, in super clear eastern basin waters big boards can help you spread your lines out better the theory is that when you pass over a school of walleye they will spread out to the sides, running right into your big board presentation, a common set up with the boards would be 20, 30 or 40 jets run 150 back or 40 jets with 2 oz clipped onto them to get them deeper. Dispey's work awesome and they catch tons of fish, on clear sunny days you might find the big boards will pull more fish, I would use the mast on the boat and try them out, you can always run 4 jets and 2 dipsey's and leave the riggers out of the equation. Riggers will pull alot of fish sometimes but not always.... and work welll when it's rough on the lake, if it's over 3 footers I would run the riggers and dipsey's. if it's calm I would try and run the big boards with 2 jets per side.

Any program you choose to run can and will pull fish, to maximize your catch I would do a little experimenting and see what works best, on any given day one might be better than the other, let the walleye tell you what you want.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Dipseys are the most effecient way that I know of to run 6 lines on a boat similar to yours. IMO, running 6 lines or less in-line planers are as effecient as big boards. SO if you are going to try pmaners, I'd get 4 in-lines to try. BFG is right...you may be running snap weights, in-line weights, or lead to get your presentation off of boards (regardless of type) to the depths you need to target.

Tim

·
334 Posts
I run my jets and crank baits off of the big boards. You can spread them out away from the boat where the fish are spooking to from the engine noise. If the fish are shallow, I use crank baits. If down to 40', I use the jets. Any deeper, stick with riggers and dipsies just as BFG said.

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
I'm not so sure anyone can really qualify that you will catch more with one presentation than the other, each day is a new day.

It often is just personal preference. I have strong preference for running big boards, others wouldn't think of running anything but small boards or dipsy's. They all will catch fish and one may work better one day than the other. You just need to be prepared to run any or all of them if the dictates you need to.

I enjoy the big boards, especially if I have novices fishing with me. It's easy, easy, easy for them to catch on the routine of knowing when you have a fish, reeling them in and resetting the lines, plus they don't have to fight the small board or the dipsy when bringing in a fish. They do offer some hindrances however. They are big and bulky, storage for the boards and mast are an issue. Tow lines breaking does occur occasionally, pulling everything in to move or run back up to troll through an area again is more difficult than small boards or dipsy's. It's all what you like the best for your style of fishing. Try your big boards and see if you like them.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm new to jets, but want to try them this year. Do jets pull as hard as big dipseys? When you let them out do they go down under tension like a dipsey ? Currently don't have any type of planers. If I run dipseys out to the sides, is it worth running two jets straight back behind the boat. I know some guys run dipseys at o or 1 & catch eyes off them, so would 30 jets work? Thanks for any replies & good fishing to you.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,465 Posts
Jets float, and dive when tention is applied, no they don't pull nearly as hard as dipsy's and special rods are not needed to run them. Sure you can run them straigh off the boat, any size will work well depending on what depth your targeting.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outstanding responses so far guys. Hate to do it to you, but here is another dumb questions. I am using four Cabala's dipsy LC rod and reel combos with 30lb PP on them. Am I able to run them on he boards? Or do I need to spend more money for different poles to use on the big boards?

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
W/ 3 guys and 6 lines I'd leave the mast in the box and get 4 in-lines (like Toolman said). I've got to think that Dipsys will be your primary presentaion and Jets behind in-lines are a great way to go with the Dipsys. Snap wts are tanglers, and can be trouble makers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts