Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
go green
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the tow line on my planer reels. I have the big jons. I think I'm going to go with the Spectra from amish outfitters. either 500 or 800 lb. Will this fit on my big jon reels? Do I have any other options? Any info will help. What do you recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently spooled my Big Jon electric reels with 200ft of Amish Outfitters 500 lb Spectra. The line works great for me. I replaced the Dacron line that came with the reels and really no comparison. IMO the 500lb Spectra is far superior.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
As Frank confirms, the AO spectra will fit the reels fine. Had this exact set up, til we upgraded to Ciscos. Now we have it on there and it is still great.
Whatever you do, do not use weedwacker line on the Big Jon reels, it can crack the reel from expansion and contraction.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I bought some 400 lb mono line off ebay for my boards and it really worked great. but when I decided to change it out I bought some 200 lb braid off ebay but never got around to using it. so I don't know if 200 lb would work or not. but they also have 250 and 300, but I would suggest you use a good snubber like the ones that big jon sells if using braid.
sherman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts