Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys...I know I being a pain, but I just want to make sure the new boat is set up as close to perfect as I can get it and who better to get advice from than YOU?

I hear a lot of mixed feedback on planer boards and I'd like your opinions. I'm making my own planer boards and I chose to go with cedar wood(any drawbacks here?). I hear redwood is good and even plastic too. I'm also hearing that some like to leave the boards unfinished and some seal theirs. I was personally leaning toward sealing mine so that they last longer, but do the unsealed ones perform better? I read somewhere that not sealing them makes them more water logged while in use, therefore they track lower in the water and pull harder. In essence keeping the line tighter. It seems to me that lower in the water, in rougher water, might cause them to dive more pulling the line along with it. What do you recommend? All thoughts and opinions accepted! Once again, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I made mine out of redwood and left them unsealed. What I did do is prime and paint ( in neon green ) the top 2-1/2 inches of them for visibility and inserted a flag. The longer you run them the better they track. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I made my own also, and made the to fold for easy storage. Actually, I strap them to the front rails, out of the way when I don’t need them, works nice. Redwood is your better option, will not split as easy as cedar, though they will if you store them in too dry of an area in the winter. I had mine sealed 100% but did not work to well, were way to light, so I sanded them down. I eventually added a counter weight on the outside of mine, and a metal flipper, for better performance. Unsealed, they soak water and become heavier, and track much better. You have to be careful though, I had mine so heavy, that the totally submerged and flip, then sank to the bottom, much worse then tangled lines! Make sure you air dry them after every use, keep them in the open, that will solve that problem. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow and post them for you. By the way, if you can, get power reels for your mast, well worth every penny!

Tight Lines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Here’s pictures of the boards I’ve built. Hope it gives you some good ideas!

Tight lines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've been using a homemade set like that for 24 years now and they are still going strong. I started using the small single ones this yesr also but still like my big ones. We also adapted them so they would fold up. They should work fine. Ours are redwood though.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've got home-made boards like fish-crazy has. Unsealed redwood and no problems after 6 hrs so far. Over 10 yrs old.

Here's the homemade mast,which I made it mount into my pedestal. It's got a couple heavy duty trolling reels to help reel them in and out.

2" pvc,pvc end cap,3 stainless eyebolts,2 pulleys,2 snaps,2 springs,and hose clamps.

The saugeye have been tearing up the boards at IL my last 2 trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts