Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I tried to use my yellow bird boards a couple weeks ago and needless to say they did not work so I'am in the market for new ones. I have been doing research and reading reviews but still at a loss. I have it narrowed down to the Church TX 22 special, Church walleye board, or the off shore brand. All got good reviews on Bass pro and Cabelas. But still could not decide. So I'am asking what everyone uses and likes. I will be trolling erie for walleye with them. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Both the Church and Offshore are very good boards. Some individuals like the security of the Church retainer pin and others prefer the Offshore which does not have a retention designed into it. An addition can be made to the Offshore to incorporate a retainer. I have Church T22's as well as the Walleye boards and like them. Several of my friends have Offshore which I have used without problems.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
How handy are you? I made mine from scraps in my garage. You need to do a little tinkering with the weight to add to the bottoms, to get them to stand upright in the water. Get the church clips for them, they hold mono and braid no problem. Mine run great, I have pulled 4 oz weights with no problems. Havn't tried anything heavier yet. My fishing partner wants me to make him a set. I think I will give him mine. I have a few new ideas for my next set.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Need some help. I tried to use my yellow bird boards a couple weeks ago and needless to say they did not work so I'am in the market for new ones. I have been doing research and reading reviews but still at a loss. I have it narrowed down to the Church TX 22 special, Church walleye board, or the off shore brand. All got good reviews on Bass pro and Cabelas. But still could not decide. So I'am asking what everyone uses and likes. I will be trolling erie for walleye with them. Thanks for the help.
i was out with a guy and we was running offshore boards. They worked great but the cost is a little higher than what i want. If you don't mind the cost they were great every now and then you can find good deals on ebay too.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
No plans, kind of just ''wung it''. I think I can go slightly larger than the normal size. I bought a 3/4''x1/4''x4' long steel plate from home depot, hardware section. I used it for the ballast on the bottom. Works good. I am a construction guy, so not really all that difficult. I made them a few winters ago when I had the time and no money.;) Thinking of trying balsa wood next time. If not that than cedar. I used pine on the original, but I would like a little more bouyancy on my next set. I want to pull 6 ozers with them. Also the original model had the clips on the tow arm with a split ring. Changed that to little nuts and bolts so they are fixed. Much better, a lot more pull.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I never thought of the flat stock for the ballast. Sorry for hijacking your post feesherman I'll have to start a separate for making planer boards. Good luck with whatever you decide on though.

G

·
I use the off shore boards I like them the best. I ran the Church TX22 and they sank with a 3 oz inline weight on. I also ran the Church walleye boards and did not like the clips. But I do like the adjustment on the weight with the walleye boards they seem to run better when set right. I up grade my off shore with the 0R 18 clip in the front, and the OR 16(I think, red ones) in the back with the tattle flags. I like the tattle flags because you can see a hit and feed the fish by free spooling it. My 2 cents

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the help and input I found a good deal on the walleye boards so I got them. will be fishing on the 22 and 23. look me up on the radio ch 68 or 79

1 - 9 of 9 Posts