Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Sea Hunt 220 Escape Yamaha 250
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I predominantly use dipsies and have used planer boards but never used both on the same side. Any thought or tips on doing this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just gotta make sure your inside board is higher than your diver if you have it on 3 setting. As long as you know where your baits are running depth wise you can do whatever you want. I have ran 3 boards and 2 divers off the same side out of a 16' tiller without issues.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It All makes sense. I run dipsies at 0, 1.5 and 3 and thinking I would run a walleye board down the chute to clear them. I just don’t use them often and need to get comfortable using them and avoid a tangle!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So- when a fish is on the line on a planer board (and when running dipsies) and it tracks to the back of the boat, do I need to snap the line out of the planer board grip so that it comes straight up the chute? (To prevent tangling with the dipsies?) Or is that not necessary?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
So- when a fish is on the line on a planer board (and when running dipsies) and it tracks to the back of the boat, do I need to snap the line out of the planer board grip so that it comes straight up the chute? (To prevent tangling with the dipsies?) Or is that not necessary?
The fish will come up in the water column above dipsies. Some guys don't set their boards to trip. When there is a fish on its no problem. I do set mine to trip, again with a fish on its no problem, I mostly trip them and let them clear when there is no fish on them to check or change a lure.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the discussion replies! Ok so one last question…flags or no flags on the boards? I had them on but removed them because they didn’t seem to offer much value. What do they work best with? Harnesses?

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
313 Posts
I run small boards with flags and trip the release on the boards and run dipseys. Mostly no wrong ways, just different ways based on past experience and preference.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True and fully Agree Basser57! Where there’s a will, there’s a way! Just trying to find a way from experienced fishermen who can help prevent a big mess!

·
Registered
860 Posts
We run dipsies and inline boards all the time.Normally 6 lines total with 2 dipsey and one inline on each side.We run the boards with a tattle flag and rubber band and a front orange release that either myself or a fish will pull off and board comes in easier and down the chute.We rarely have tangles and if we do,it's between the two dipsey lines.Been years since had a board line tangle with a dipsey.The tattle flag that goes down helps to see a fish since only running one board,can't compare boards running next to each other.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
My typical set up is 3-4 boards per side with 2-3 dipsies per side depending on how many people are on board. Really the only time tangles happen is when you have 7" fish hanging on something and you send a line into it because it's not where it is "supposed" to be.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
313 Posts
My experience with tangles have been due to weird currents and rogue fish, but those are not common. Other times were due to operator error putting lines out or bringing lines in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMO, Tattle flags on Offshore in-lines - Stock springs are worthless for deep divers. Heavier springs don't add much value except they are fun to watch when you hook a fish. When running stick baits, small cranks, or harnesses Tattle flags with stock springs can be helpful for noticing very small fish if you don't notice the initial bite especially if you slack up the line for a moment or do something to get the fish kick around a little. You can do the same thing without a tattle, it's just more subtle. Stock springs do help with noticing weeds in calm water.

Bottom line, sometimes they help, mostly not. Key is to always watch boards, so you don't miss the initial tug from a small fish. I have 2 stock, 2 heavy, and 2 no tattles and don't care enough to standardize things. I bought my 1st pair and made my 2nd pair using old perch spreader wire (stainless steel and handy). No way would I pay up for the store bought kit again even at the price I paid back when they were introduced. They are not fragile. If releases slip due to wear, rough water, or hard pulling baits, tattle flag function does not work.

I run non-adjustable Church releases. With PowerPro line, double wrap at least one in rough seas since they don't have a pin. I'm going to take a hard look at their adjustable options next time I buy some, I have one adjustable that is a plastic composite and doesn't have the coating that eventually wears out on the non-adjustable metal ones. It came with a Church portable outrigger I bought many years ago for a specific application, need to find that release...it clamped down very tight. I had it too tight during initial outrigger trial, snagged a big carp and it did not release and broke the outrigger in two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts