Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Biggest Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another tragedy:

http://www.dailycall.com/main.asp?SectionID=86&SubSectionID=164&ArticleID=158311

City teen drowns in Miami River
Eyewitnesses say youth tried to swim across river

By Will E Sanders
Staff Writer

PIQUA - Authorities pronounced a Piqua teenager dead late Tuesday afternoon shortly after the Piqua Fire Department's dive team recovered his body from the Great Miami River under the Garnsey Street Bridge. He had been submerged for about 50 minutes.

The victim has been identified as William E. Brown, 16, of Piqua. Eyewitnesses said he attempted to swim across the river from the west bank to the east before struggling, going under, and coming up again before going under a final time, police and fire officials said.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I sure wish there was a way to know how that happened. A 16 year-old boy was likely to be healthy and strong. The description indicates that there was something unusual about the current. It sounds as if the body didn't move very far in the 50 minute time span. It stayed under and the current didn't carry it.

If somebody's canoe or kayak takes a dump in that spot, they could be in the same predicament.

It's sad, anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I heard a news report mention something about the current, too, but there's nothing unique about the current in that area. In fact, that bridge is only a couple hundred yards upstream from a dam and has very little current.

·
Biggest Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's alot of discussion on the newspapers website about it.

Apparently the boy got into deeper water around the bridge abutments. He was wearing blue jeans which slowed him down.

A few days before, i guess the dam was opened up and the water lowered for the river clean up - when its like that, it looks like you could walk across. (obviously filled back up when this happened.)

I drive by this location all the time. Its just really sad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts