close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rp101, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Can you eat pike? Or is strictly a game fish. I have seen restraunts serve it. I also know that when filleting they do have a "Y" bone that needs to be removed but does anyone on here ever keep the medium sized ones? Just curious.....

2. we cooked pike in canada while canoeing. it was actually quite tasty over the fire, we cut it into steak like sections between the y-bones

3. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

I've eaten Pike from up in Wisconsin before. They're alright. Not as good as cats or Walleye, but very edible.

4. Pike is one of the best fish I have ever eaten...Fillet them after removing the y-bones and you can cook them anyway! From my experience it's a very mild fish! YUMMY!

5. We eat a fair number of them each year from our trip to Ontario. Personally I prefer the taste over that of walleye. It is sweeter that walleye in my opinion. As far as the Y-bones go I have never found a good way to get rid of them completely without sacrificing a lot of the meat. What I do with them is cut the tail section from the front section right where the Y-bones begin. The tail section should be completely bone free. That I will feed to the kids or anyone else who does not want to deal with the bones. The front section then is cooked up the same way as the rest. The only thing I do differently when eating it is to take a fork and pull it apart right along the line of Y-bones far enough up the bones so that you end up with them all sticking out of the fillet. Then you can simply grab the whole line of bones and easily pull them from the fillet. This wastes no meat whatsoever and allows you to fillet them just like you would any other fish. We usually eat ones in the 22-26" range and there is no strong taste to them whatsoever.

6. you have to be sure to remove the Y bones if fileting, or make steaks.

And sometimes up north, the "pike" or "pickerel" served in restaraunts is actually walleye. For some reason some of those folks still can't call them walleye.

7. I'm a real big fan of C&R, however my grandfather used to eat pike. When he filleted them he would take the full fillet lengthwise and cut it into 6 inch steaks with the Y bone. He then would turn the steaks sideways and cut along the Y bone at an angle to seperate the top piece. This was always his favorite part of the fish, he called it poorman's lobster. Anyway at this point he would take the larger part of the fillet with the Y bone and cut again at an angle against the Y bone seperating the bone from the fillet. This method sacrificed very little meat and is very effective at removing the bone. Do this down the entire fillet and you will have depending on the length of the fish a very decent amount of perfect cooking pike, seperated from top fillet and bottom fillet with very little meat sacrificed. Hope this helps you out and is descriptive enough to follow. Good fishing.

8. Just a further note if you choose to cut the Y-bones out like has been mentioned. The Y-bones are only in the front portion of the fillet and the portion back beyond the rib section will not have the bones. If you run your finger along the fillet it is pretty easy to feel them.

I guess I am just too much of a cheap skate because I just don't like throwing any of that good meat away.:D That is why I do it after cooking. I used to do it pretty much the way striper suggested except that I did not piece it out that much. I would always try to stay close to the Y-bones when cutting on each side and it never seemed to fail that I would leave some in. The bones are pretty fine and easy to cut through so you can't really glide along them like you do the ribs.

9. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I like pike as well as, or better than, walleye. We bring some back from Canada each year. Pike don't last as long when frozen as walleye do so we eat the pike first, then the walley. Anyway, here's a link for a site that shows how to remove the y-bones. http://www.boois.com/y-bones.htm
    Brian

10. Check out http://www.nobonesaboutit.com/ for a demo. I use this method on bigger fish, but it's hard on the smaller ones.

I really like pike as much as walleye, except for the bones, give me perch and a beer anyday!

11. I agree with bkr43050; pike taste great. On Canada trips, my boys favor pike over walleye. With some knife skills, you can have boneless filets with a little wasted meat behind the Y bones. There are several techniqies out there if you search the web for pike fileting. I learned from a Canadian friend that made it look as simple and similar to fileting a large walleye to a butterfly shape single slab of meat while leaving the Y bones and a little meat. We keep the eater sized low 20 to low 30 inches for dinner most nights and a daily possesion limit for the trip home. Catching 30 a day, most are C/R particularly anything 36" or bigger to help maintain the stock of big guys.