Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to go to the tusc to do some pike fishing.. but have no clue on where to start.. could anyone give any places to start and even what to use.. I havent ever caught one but really want to

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,411 Posts
Perry by Lake Erie? If so, there are a lot closer places.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,454 Posts
99840035-272A-48D6-A9B5-FB281FFC9204.jpeg
Head south to Burton and fish the Cuyahoga. You can catch them all year. Chuck jerk baits and do a twitch pause retrieve. Soft or hard baits. You can even drift some large chubs too. Just go to a creek with an ice jig tipped with maggots and catch a dozen or so. Heck, I may even join ya. It’s been awhile since I’ve been there.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,411 Posts
Caught a few last year on mosquito. North end, above causeway in about 13 ft. It was early ice.
Mosquito is definitely an underutilized pike fishery. Why do you think they call it Pikie Bay? The pike slide up in there real shallow to spawn. Read that one year when the Ohio fishery guys had their nets set up for gathering walleye eggs, that they released 4 pike that they figured would all have been new state records! The current record is 45" and 22 3/4 lbs!

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,454 Posts
Mosquito is definitely an underutilized pike fishery. Why do you think they call it Pikie Bay? The pike slide up in there real shallow to spawn. Read that one year when the Ohio fishery guys had their nets set up for gathering walleye eggs, that they released 4 pike that they figured would all have been new state records! The current record is 45" and 22 3/4 lbs!
yup! I believe the new state record pike will be caught out of Skeeter. Gonna be targeting them this year with huge chubs or hotdogs on tipsups. After hooking them on light tackle through the ice last year, I’m hooked. So much fun when you get one on. The go absolutely ape ****, Rippin drag with this long runs. Just when you think your done, nope...zinggg zingggg another run. Best cold water fighting fish besides steelies in Ohio

·
ol' pal Steve
1,295 Posts
I caught my first pike in the Cuyahoga in Akron city limits over 35 years ago and there are still a lot in there, no matter how hard my 83 year old father tries to catch and eat them all. He gets them by catching minnows with light tackle then floating them in slack water as described above, it's a deadly and fun technique.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I have caught 286 Pike at the old Dam in Monroe Falls before they removed the dam there. Late fall and early spring before the spawn, I would use large live bait, bobber and a slip rig with a sinker on the bottom. When they removed the dam I stopped fishing for them. Average fish where 27" to 28" with eggs in them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts