Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So once again I am going to canada for a little pike trip...very exciting, this will be my 2nd time going for pike. I am going to get a two piece 7'0 medium heavy rod (for car transport), a 6.4:1 bait cast reel loaded with 12 lb power pro braid. This is where my question comes in. In google searches, it said the best lines to use are either 20+ lb mono or 50 lb braid....why 50 lb braid? is it because the no stretch factor? What line is best?

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
I use 65lb braid when launching big lures and getting good hooksets on long casts. Powerpro works well for me and rips thru weeds easily.

My favorite lures for pike are Northland Reedrunner Spinnerbaits (black/ orange-yellow/orange) 1/2-1oz. They ride high over weeds and can still be retrieved very slow and have a closed eye for using wire leaders.

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we usually cast with spoons and troll with broken minnows or other rapalas....i just use bass lures up there

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
if your trollin with braid the rod action will be a factor.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would assume it's because the people, in your google research, are using BIG lures specifically made for musky/pike. They, most likely, also have big rods/reels to accommodate the larger diameter line.

When I go to Canada, (I'm actually going in September for a week -- can't wait!!!!) I fish for pike, musky, bass, and walleye... I don't target any specific fish at any given time, (except walleye for a shore-lunch every now and then) so I don't use the humongous musky/pike setups which would put me at a disadvantage for other species.

I use 7' medium action rods as well, coupled with either 20 or 30lb powerpro. My buddy's dad swears by steel leaders, and uses them exclusively up there, but I've never had an issue with a musky or pike "biting" through my line. I also made a trip with 14lb fireline, when I still used it, and had no problems either. I will, however, use a steel leader if/when I'm bobber fishing for them.

I'll use a Terminator T-1 (titanium and unbendable, which is KEY when fishing for musky/pike) double willow probably 90% of the time I'm up there, and it catches all the species I've mentioned very well. Other lures that work well there, for me, are big flukes, (topwater pike is AWESOME!) various inline spinners, casting spoons, Nuggets, rapalas, etc.

If I were you, I'd step up to the 20lb powerpro. Peace of mind with little sacrifice. In a pinch, you should be fine with what you have though. I'd just set your drag a little on the light side, then once hooked-up, adjust it from there. This way there's less of a chance of them breaking you off right away. Some of them hit like a freight train!

·
Registered
399 Posts
With bass sized lures, you don't need any more than the line you normally use bass fishing. When I target pike, it is usually with bass sized lures, and I'll add a 6"-8" 18lb. steel leader to keep from getting bit off. I've never felt out of control with pike up to 36" and 8-12lb. mono.

Once you start getting to 1+oz. lures, you'll want a little heavier line to handle the shock loads during casting and hook setting, especially if you start going to more powerful rods.

I think you are barking up the right tree with what you have. With the lures you are fishing, the action of the rod could become an issue. If your rod has a fast action like a bass worm/jig rod, then you might have some issues with treble hooks pulling out. Something with a moderate to moderate fast action will help. Of course with the numbers of fish you encounter in Canada, a few fish pulling off always makes for some good stories.

If you have a 2 piece fiberglass rod around that can handle casting the lures you are using, take that with you and try it for the treble hooked lures. The slower reaction and recovery of glass make it a great material to use with treble hooks.

Joe

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
are big flukes, (topwater pike is AWESOME!)
THIS! ^^ I am definitely getting the zoom super fluke in the bigger size...i forgot about that, i cant wait to try those!! is white the best up there too?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
THIS! ^^ I am definitely getting the zoom super fluke in the bigger size...i forgot about that, i cant wait to try those!! is white the best up there too?
Hard to say if it's really the best, or if it's just because I only use that color, lol. My buddy got the biggest pike of the trip last time, a 40 incher, on a green one.

All I know is, where we go, it doesn't really matter what you use; you're gonna catch a lot of quality fish... Hell, the one time we were fishing for bait (small bluegill) with a tiny hook and a piece of worm, and I got a 4lb smallie! That, along with the peaceful scenery, is why I love going there!

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im also going to try those bad boys in hawaii if i can

·
Registered
698 Posts
we use 20 lb Sufix 832 with 7ft med rods and have had no problems going up or down with lure size.

Zoom Fluke watermelon with red flake is money on smallies or pike.

as for leaders I have been bitten off many times using just straight braid added the braided ( thin) steel leaders with quality swivels in black and have had no problems since.

Even the smallies didn't seem to care about the black leaders. Only black though the silver leaders seem like fish repellent.

Can't stress enough about quality swivels , the standard issue eagle claw type have failed us quite often.

Good spinnerbaits as mentioned before, I like the 1/4 to 1/2 oz size and run them about 6 inches below the surface over the weeds. bk/orng- gold blades, red- gold blades, and white - silver blades are the only ones that seem to stay wet on our trips.

ugh just think about this has me bummed as we cannot make it up this year, have fun good luck , be safe , and please share your success :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't look past the Blue Fox bucktail spinners. I have caught a LOT of pike on them as well.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I also use braid but pike will bite right through it. I used to use steel leader to prevent bite offs now I just use a fluorocarbon. I usually use bass sized bait for Canadian northerns and I like a 6'6" or 7' medium action rod with 15-20 pound braid and a 30-40 pound fluorocarbon leader at least 18 inches long. If the area you are fishing in is known for big pike go with a 24 inch leader. Pike won't bite thru a fluoro leader and you have the added benefit that it nearly disappears under water.

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will probably use leaders for more expensive lures but for the fluke, the action is better without it...and you are just losing the hook and fluke, no big deal...but wouldnt want to lose spoons or spinners when so far away from the cabin. When we troll, all i use is a broken minnow...worked great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts