Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or at least try. I spend a lot of time in the Marblehead/port clinton area. i would like to catch a Northern or a Musky both of which i have never caught. i dont have a boat and do the majority of fishing off shore. Is there anywhere i can go up there to catch these monsters? also, what do i use? ive never fished for them and really dont have a clue. Im a pretty seasoned angler and think i can figure it out if just pointed in the right direction. any help would be appreciated. THanks

·
Trophy Tamer
1,480 Posts
Right now, you will probably need a boat at most places that have northerns or muskies. Your best bet would be to tag along with an OGFer for a trip to one of the many stocked inland lakes. You can also wait until next spring, right at ice out, and fish the marinas and smaller bays on Erie. Northerns will move into the shallow waters to spawn, where you will be able to target them easily. Throw husky jerks, HJ-12 or 14, and work them very slowly. You can alsa use a large bucktail jig under a fixed float. Lots of northerns are caught at Edgewater and Geneva marinas every year. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
16,822 Posts
East Harbor / Sandusky Bay has a good population of Northerns. 500 size Buchertails/ Mepps Musky kilers cast parallel to the shore or husky Jerks are good choices in Spring or Fall. In summer they tend to go to the coolest waters.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Another option with no boat is to head over to a river where they are ocassionally caught. Don't know your area so can't help you there but have seen some nice post on the Cuyahoga River.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts