Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started fishing my local flow this morning to see if the pike were back. It's been two years since I've caught one there... 8wt rod, big tippet, big fly, and cut proof fly leader. Threw out to all the obvious spots. Nothing.

Time to fish for small mouth. Went to my 6wt, 2x tippet and a wooly bugger under an indicator. A few minutes later. Dang! Snagged. Then the snag started running. Somehow, that little wooly bugger corner hooked him perfectly.

My fly fishing life will only go downhill from here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nice fish!

I wouldn't say that, there are still thousands upon thousands of species left to catch!!! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice! I guess a wooly bugger truly will catch anything that swims. I really want to hook one of those toothy critters this fall. There are two rivers nearby with good populations of northerns. I've never caught one before, so to take one on the fly would be extra special.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still shocked. If that hook had set any other way, if the hook eye had entered his mouth just a little, it would have been hook set, line cut, game over. I've probably had that happen a dozen times when rigged for smallies and, I figure, hooked a pike. I was just very, very lucky.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sweet catch!!

That happened to me back in April. No net either but rough
measured 42" with my paddle. What a great fight.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice pike on the fly, they aren't easy to come buy in Ohio. Your hooked now!

Nice catch !!...the only two flies I use are the Zonker and Zonker Bonker tied on a #4.....All white, chartruse, black and olive colors work best.
Only 2 flies! Man your missing out of some great pike flies...

I'm all about big profile flies that move ALOT of water, especially for Ohio pike waters where the clarity isn't the best.

I'm getting ready for fall muskie/pike fishing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts