close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike Lake 03/24/05

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jellywormer, Mar 24, 2005.

1. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

Headed out to Pike lake today and fished about 4 hours. A very calm day and the water was incredibly clear. Water was a cool 43 degrees. Fished the deep end (max 10 feet) with a jig and crankbait. Caught only one bass on the jig. The bite came after the sun finally came out just before I had to leave. Two pics below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I caught my first flathead catfish ever out of Pike Lake many years ago, a 20-lber.

3. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Nice fish! Any fish caught with the water temp like it is right now is a good fish. Nice looking little lake. Ever caught anything of bigger size out of this little lake?

thanks

4. There have always been a lot of small bass in there but never seen any nice ones. Its nice to hear of a 20 pound flathead though, i never hear of any nice cats getting pulled out of there.

5. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

I have caught several bass in the 4 and 5 lbs. range and plenty of 2lbs. out of Pike. It's a fairly tough place to fish, the water is extremely clear and the fish are spooked easy. Besides the banks, which have good cover (fallen timber) the lake is your standard bowl shape. There aren't any drastic drop-offs or sudden structure changes. There are some mild points and some slight changes in depth but nothing choice. I usually find the fish near the fallen timber or by the damn. Two springs ago I saw two bass near a bed that would go 6 or 7 lbs.- huge. I was able to get one to bite and it broke off. About 10 years ago they dredged and restocked this lake. It's really the size of a pond.