close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike Island

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by mastercatman, Feb 16, 2008.

1. I will be heading down to pike island tommorrow morning early. I will be fishing with my father and a couple of friends down there. Looks like the water flow and height will be good so hopefully the fishing will be good too! This will be my father's first trip down and hopefully he will see what I've been talking about all these years! I was glad to see that the confusion was cleared up about the walleye limits from last year on the odnr website. I will be bringing about 10 dozen minnows and lots of twisters! Maybe I'll see some of you guys down there tommorrow! Good Fishing to all!

2. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

Good luck. I miss fishing down there since I moved from Stuebenville.

3. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Curious what you mean about the walleye limits? I know the limit in WV for walleye is 2 fish a day and they must be 18". If you are in a boat, you must still abide by WV rules. Now in Ohio, and this is often disputed, but supposedly, the limit is still 6 walleye a day, or in the aggregate..10 fish, only 6 can be walleye though!

4. You're right snake! I got all excited but I failed to scroll down to the eastern unit(not thinking of course). Looks like ohio is still not sure what to print. I guess 6 it is. I guess I could stomach a few saugeyes in my limit! For any of you not aware of the limits here is the link to the Ohio river regulations: http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_ohioriver.aspx . Anyways, I'm still hoping for a good days fishing tommorrow regardless of the limits. Thanks for the reality check snake!

5. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

Hey ya'll, was there today..20 people easy at 2:30 p.m. both jigs and minnows were being used. couple nice 15-18 inch walleye caught that I saw. Decent catch rate for the sauger, I gave 3 or 4 nice keepers to a fellow from canton. Big Larry something was his handle for the game site. will be there tomorrow

6. snake69

7. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

no, i just throw 3 inch tails on jigs, the bait shop was open though around noon when i got there

8. snake69

Not sure where the bait store there is?

9. The bait store is right in town there on your way to the dam in yorkville. I bought a pound of medium fatheads today for the trip tommorrow!

10. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

coming south on rt. 7. Yorkville exit. turn left. main street heading towards the river Ohio Bait and Tackle co. on the right 300 feet or so past the red light.

11. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

Well ya'll i'm gone, maybe run into ya tomorrow...I'm in a tan aztek...will arrive between 8 and 9....good luck, good fishing

12. Well, the fishing was slow to say the least! We caught mostly little ones and the fishing was only productive for us between 7:00 and 9:00 this morning. I managed to get 8 keeper saugeyes and walleyes. The fish seemed to favor live minnows fished one to two feet off the bottom on floating jigs or plain #4 snelled hooks. We gave up shortly after noon (not my call!). Hopefully the water conditions will remain stable more than they did last year. Might head down next week but not too sure yet.

13. snake69

Well, it still sounds better'n my day. How was the crowd down there? As for next week, the water level should be close to what it was today unless some as yet announced storms come in. And they're saying in the 40's weatherwise.

14. The most I counted at one time was 13 guys fishing. The crowd wasn't bad at all. If water conditions improve through the week I will be going to New Cumberland next weekend!

15. I was going to hit cumberland this weekend on saturday night. I noticed the temperature drop for the night and I began to think about how well my fingers wouldn't work in that cold. You are guaranteed to be tying on new rigs often at New Cumberland. I will fish Pike and save my hands from all the frigid retying. The water looks like it will be good. Just need to see the barometer between 30.00 and 29.80 this is the range you will find the most active fish. I will be there around 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening. Hope the fishing is good!

16. snake69

By the looks of things, Sunday will be pretty much ideal, with the exception of the cold. May have to brave it though, I've got it bad!

17. Looks like my barometric pressure is not going to hold out. I just checked out www.accuweather.com and it looks like high pressure is going to dominate for the weekend. I guess slow fishing is just going to stay in the cards for the weekend. The water dropped since last night and is on the way back up at New Cumberland and not at Pike Island yet. If I have to deal with high pressure then I want higher water at Pike Island to help concentrate fish closer to the pier. Good luck to all heading out this weekend!

18. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Mastercatguy,I find the best time to go fishing is whenever I can! OK,not always, but when summer comes I can afford to be more picky about when I fish,but not now. I been cooped up too long to let the barometer bother me right now. I just need to be standing in some water and casting ,if nothing else! TC1

19. snake69

Well, to me, all looks perfect for a good day at the Ohio River tomorrow. The river is down, the flow rate is relatively low, the temp isn't the best, but I've fished in alot colder........all adds up to a great day for walleye!

20. Did pretty bad last night. Caught a lot of little sauger and a couple small eyes. Managed one keeper eye and a few "decent" saugers. Most fish came on minnows again they seemed to favor baits just off the bottom this time where as last time they preffered baits presented a couple feet off the bottom. I left around 11:30 last night and I had a few friends stay till about 3:30 am. They didn't do any better for their time invested. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and let the water warm a touch more. I am definitely considering becoming more wary of barometric pressure. The more the pressure went up last night the worse the fishing was. The more I watch the more I notice the trend!