close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike Island Report

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by neocats1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

I'm headed down on THursday. How's the river look now?

2. neo just walked in the door,fished the steubenville area this afternoon from
    1pm till about 4pm river still looks good a little higher,a lot faster,with good color 2 it.the local trib's were blown out this mornin real brown an fast not 2 high.should be good,just a little fast.
    took me a while 2 find them this afternoon but once i figured it out it was on
    small spinner bait close to cover out of the current was the ticket 6 smallies
    2spots:) 1smallie was 17'' 2 dinks an the others were between 13'' an 15'' both spots were around 10''
    twister

3. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

sounds like a good day for ya jbo. fished the wing dam saturday morning. nothing happening. no even down by the creek mouth from talking to an old timer. might hit pike dam in the morning and go up to wing dam later friday. good fish'n.

4. Hit the dam twice last week. They had the middle 2 gates roaring causing a strong back current. I had trouble holding 50' out w/ 1.5 oz sinker. Havent been down in the past few days, hopefully they have closed the gates a little or atleast evened them out. There was a good amount of guys fishing the rock bar below the pier but didn't see them catch much, current had to be crazy up there. Good luck if ya get out.

Jake

5. neo didn't get out 2day river looked like it had a little more color 2 it 2day but it is still with in the banks realy didn't look 2 bad.
    twister

6. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

yea, sounds about right. last summer towards end of july, fished about 100 yards or so below the pier for catfish. had some strikes, but landed only two good chanels around 28". didn't fish again till mid september. wife thought i was crazy, and fished thru the winter. mostly saturdays, and some sundays. didn't make it there last week...finding my gut feeling when i wake up is paying off. will get there this weekend between rain bursts. also gonna wade down in costonia, and hit the wing dam there. guy i work with says a fellow told him he was hitting musky trolling between wing dam and bridge with a large jerk bait. but like my hat says, "not all fisherman are liars, but a lot of liars fish. be good, good fish'n

7. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

twister, meant to ask why you went to ruger symbol..be good good fish'n, didn't know you was on, posted almost same time..you got the faster pc.....lol