close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike Island Questions

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by guppygill, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I fished Pike Island Saturday and caught 12 sauger, all caught at dark. I seen two boats out in the river, my questions are: Is there a close ramp to launch and does anyone do any good for sauger, walleye, and white bass or hybrids in this area from a boat this time of year. I know you cannot go up to the dam, but how far can you go. The one boat was near the lock wall.

Thanks,

Rich

2. Champion188 Elite

Champion188 Elite Smallie slayer

Closest ramp would be at Wheeling Island just a few miles downstream.I don't fish this time of year(can't get out of treestand)but can guarantee you all those species can be caught from a boat,there is alot of under water structure out there if you know what your looking for.
    I catch alot of whites,sauger,hybrids in that area in the spring,and know plenty of people who do in the fall as well(just not me).
    There should be a series of marker bouys which go from the end of the lock wall at a slight angle toward the downstream side of the fishing pier at the dam(they remove them in the winter I think).
    Rule of thumb is to not go in any farther than the end of the lock wall,but you can get up the Ohio side a good ways. Look for the remnants of an old metal frame that stands about 15ft in the air.There used to be a sign on it which said NO Boats Beyond This Point!
    The sign got washed away in the flood of 04 but the frame is still there.

3. Their is a launch ramp in at rayland marina.