pike island dam

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by BASSunlimited, Oct 7, 2008.

1. hi everyone, how is the fishing at the pier? are the walleyes and suageyes in yet? thanks

2. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

From my experience, and this is from fishing the New Cumberland L & D, it usually turns on the first of Nov. Now there has been times it's been sooner. But I'll bet ya this, without water/rain, it's gonna take awhile! Know anybody that does a good rain dance? Kinda like Big Daddy's ice dance....:p C'mon rain and come on ice!!

3. i usually fish this dam and hvent been im waiting like snake said about a couple more weeks

4. We were getting a few nice Saugers at Greenup last week on live Skipjacks while fishing for Wipers. Not much flow here either. C'mon rain!!

5. Not to beat a dead horse, but we need rain, I went down last weekend and didn't catch anything. Keep your fingers crossed.

6. snake69

Many of you might already have these, but I'll post them again anyhow. It's the daily flow rates for the river. Usually in the fall/winter the best rate is between 13 and 18 with 15 being prime, right now it's like 2!!The other chart is for real time for the height.
    http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/text/pitrpti.txt
    http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/ri...&data[]=hydrograph&submit=Make+my+River+Page!
    I look at these two daily (out of habit or wishful thinking, I'm not sure which?)along with a few others, the resevoir reports, lake erie winds and waves, etc..
    C'mon rain and a good bit of it. It'll take alot to get it where we need it.

7. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

i've been waiting to go myself, but they have a barge or two tied by it..anyone know anything about that..

8. how much forthur up riveris greenup from aberden?

9. A barge tied to Pike Island?

10. thanks everyone, whenever they are heating up give me heads up?

11. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

sorry for delay, yea,,will be there in the morning though..hopefully before 6

12. how's the fishing there at the dam on the pier?

13. I still havent been down their yet

14. big_fish

big_fish the fish whisperer

the barges are tied to the wv side shouldn't effect ohio side

15. down there sunday seen i sauger caught thats it!!@ not time yet hi jk1950

16. snake69

Hello all. Haven't been on in about a month due to computer issues, I'm at the library now!!:mad: Anyhow, I heard about the barges and decided to call the guys at the lock and dam, New Cumberland that is. They tell me it's for "core drilling". I wonder if they meant "Corps" as in Corps of Engineers? Anyway, that was almost 2 weeks ago and they are not there on the weekends. Also, I saw that the flow rate has doubled in that time, up to 7.5. I've heard from some friends down that way that some eyes and sauger have been caught. Will be giving it a shot on Saturday. On a side note, I noticed Husky Hooker chiming in, good to hear from ya my friend. Hope to have the computer going soon and will be back daily.

17. Recondo37

Recondo37 a member

was there saturday before last, did ok. 7 released, 4 got off in the water and 4-6 hit short, had 2 tails bit off. sunday 16th probably would have been good with everything from the rain saturday.. barges were gone as was the core drilling machine. was thinking of clendenning this weekend around the bridges. guess they are droping the water and is a current going under the bridges with good numbers and sizes being caught according to a fellow employee. " note above fish were all sauger/saugeye" early a.m. 6 or 7ish might be the best time. got there around 9 and they were slowing down...

18. snake69

Thanks....that might be handy to know come Saturday. Was planning on an early and cold start, now I know that's a plan!

19. With the water level the way it is they are literally standing under the pier fishing rather than on it.

20. whats up snake? just got this fired up again so i should be on once in a while. hes right about standing under the pier.thats way low down there.