close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike Island - 9/25

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Cheesehead Cory, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

Archman and I launched at the Steubenville ramp at around 11:30a. The river had dropped down to a managable 18.2', but still had a fair amount of debris and plenty of current. The launch area was covered with a good inch and a half of mud that made me glad I had 4WD.

We stopped at a discharge, but it didn't take long to determine the river was too stained to catch any skipjacks, so we settled on using the bag of frozen shad that I had brought with us. We found an area of lighter current on the OH side of Brown's Island, so we anchored there and put out rods. In an hour or so, we boated a couple flatheads and three channels.

When that bite died down, we made a run up one of the tribs. I caught a little largemouth. Further up the trib I hooked a small skipjack, and as I was bringing it to the boat, something much larger swirled at it. I slowed down my reeling, and it slashed at it again. On the next 30 or so casts, we caught five more smallish skippies and six wipers, the biggest of which was maybe five lbs.

When we decided that this bite was over, we hurried back to the main river to anchor down for catting while our bite size skipjacks were still alive. We probably caught a dozen more cats, two big carp, and my biggest sheephead ever.

We quit around 11:30p, but the bite seemed to have died off for the most part, at least two hours earlier. Archman took some pics, I'm sure he'll post them, just as soon as he finishes altering the backgrounds, and then to be extra super tricky changing the altered backgrounds to look exactly like the original. :rolleyes:

You can't beat the big river for variety! :)

2. Thanks for another great day on River, Cory. I'm glad we tried out that trib, those wipers were fun to catch (even though mine weren't as big as yours).

Here are the pictures I took. They aren't the greatest quality because I had to reduce the picture quality so they would meet the maximum file size.

Attached Files:

3. Here's another one...

Attached Files:

4. looks like a good day of catching.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

great pictures guys, nice looking sheephead