pike in the pond

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bfwm1993, Jul 24, 2008.

1. We have been fighting factory farms in this area (Wood County) - loudly. We discovered 2 pike in our farm pond this past spring. (???) Our perch are all gone and we can't get the pike to bite on anything...we've done Canada fishing and have lures and tried everything in between. we
    ve tried to get our Ohio DNR to shock our pond and let us retrieve them - to no avail. What do we pay these exhorbitant in state fishing and hunting licensing fees for if they can't help you out once in a blue moon?
    If anybody has any ideas ? Bring 'em on. Thanks!!

2. Where is your pond, I will help try and get them out =) (I am serious as well, Ill throw every bait I have at them)

3. any idea how the fish got in your pond? Creek or ditch access? Dropped by a blue heron? Planted by another fisherman?

4. I used to fish off the weeds with shinners under a bobber. Some days Id get 12 pike. Good Luck!

5. pizza

pizza

$19 for a fishing license is dirt cheap. A lot less than the probably >$1000 it would cost to come out and shock someones private pond.

Good luck getting those pike though.

6. O.D.N.R. won't do that because its "private property" and if by chance something was to happen with the shocking and it killed all the fish in your pond, or property damage, etc, etc then the state would be liable. Normally the way I catch Pike and Muskie is when I'm Bass fishing! I can't keep them off my spinnerbaits and they just destroy my buzzbaits. :mad:

7. Did you try a local pond management place? Some places that raise fish and manage ponds can come out and shock your pond. If not get a perch and use that for bait

8. How about bow fishing them out?? If you can't catch them but can see them an arrow can be run through them. That is how I get the amurs out of my pond when they get to big to be useful.

9. I'd suggest an OGF fishing derby at your pond!! Everyone throw in a couple of bucks and winner take all!!!:p

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Live bluegill on a shiner might do the trick

11. Rig up about a dozen empty milk jugs with 3ft of 20# line, 1/0 or 2/0 barbed hooks, creek chubs or shiners, and enough weight to keep the bait from swimming to the surface. If a pike takes the bait you'll know it from a long way away. ;)

12. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

if i planned on killing them after i removed them and just wanted to rid my property of them, id just snag them with a treb hook. im not suggesting you do anything illegal. just putting out an idea.

13. its too hot i would just wait until the water cools, you would be lucky to catch one on anything this time of year unless your pond has some springs. also, how big where they? is there a possibility that they could have been grass pickeral, that would change the game

14. Like some others, I don't think it's remotely fair to criticize a state agency for NOT doing something that has nothing at all to do with their job, the job for which I pay them by buying licenses and tackle. They are charged with managing the wildlife that the state holds in public trust for us all; a couple rogue fish in a private pond have nothing at all to do with the public's (i.e., MY) wildlife.

Also, like others have noted, pike don't deal too well with warm water. They are also really prone to summer kill, so August might cure your problem automatically. How much deepwater refugia is there in your pond?

In some seasons, pike trap quite easily. I might suggest you call a local college/university with a fisheries program and see if you can get a couple students to run a fyke net in spring.

Bowfishing was a good suggestion. Live bait when the water isn't too warm was a good suggestion (go for suckers or bigger chub species). Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and anything else when the water isn't too warm were good suggestions too.

Nobody is likely to mistake grass pickerel for northern pike, and grass pickerel aren't likely to crop a pond of fishable fish. For the most part, grass pickerel in Ohio pretty much stay less than a foot long. They do make intriguing aquarium pets if you don't mind keeping them supplied with a steady flow of feeder goldfish.

Finally, if you're talking about a typical recreational farm pond and not a fed culture operation, yellow perch are just hard to manage in recreational ponds. There's a reason bass-bluegill is the classic combination in such settings, and the management of bass-bluegill ponds (with a couple supplemental species options) is well documented.

OSU Extension did a decent booklet on pond management and subsequently converted it to html format (I like the print version better, but click here for the content for free): Ohio Pond Management-OSU Extension. (Here's an example of the Division of Wildlife doing what they do very well...) Even better may be ODW's Ohio Pond Management: Guide to managing ponds for fish & attracting wildlife. You can download it, or most district wildlife offices should have the print version on hand or be able to get it for you for free.

15. That's not illegal at all on a private pond with an isolated watershed and isolated fish populations. Public waters, that would be a different matter.

16. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

1/2 oz spinnerbait with a brown and orange skirt and copper willow leaf blades. I found some in a pond once and an older fella told me to try this color combo. I went back the next day and caught them both.