close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike in the Hoga

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lpltonker, Aug 11, 2008.

1. We have had some success with pike in the Hoga, usually in September and October. I have some time off later this week and wanted to try in the dead of summer. Am I wasting my time? I put my boat in at eldon russell.

2. iv been thinkin about doing the same thing this weekend.... where is eldon russell?

3. No! You are not wasting your time!

4. allwayzfishin

allwayzfishin just 1 more cast!!!

please tell me more on this excursion in the upper hoga, and where to launch a canoe. a good locale for pike and bass. not going to keep anything, just gonna take pics. you guys refering over by 422 and ladue area? whats a sure fire way to hook up with some toothy critters?

5. crg

crg multi-species angler

big shiners under floats behind logjams, the bigger the jam the better. if a pike is there you usually wont be waiting more than 10-15min.

6. snag

snag

it should be good up that way the river is up as of today the pike should be active and hungry,a good place for smaller water craft ..LOCATION-east on 422 past la due to 1st rd on left rapids rd go approx- 4 miles or so will see sign to entrance to park after you cross bridge creek the outflow of the dam of l due,weekends get busy there with camp hi canoe dropping folks off up there ,i,d go on a weekday if possible,it,s isolated up there so don,t leave anything in your car for the you know whos.never heard of anything happening to cars but nowadays you can,t be sure...

7. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

i caught 5 in an afternoon by myself a few days ago spinners spoons and rapala jerk baits... lost the biggest one i have seen it was over 40 just saw it slash a big jerk bait but couldn't get it hooked up even with 9 hooks hanging from my bait... O well that is what is making me go out again today... I don't notice a big difference in the summer in the river as the season goes on... I would actually say the summer they seem just as active... I would say fish between 10-2 maybe start as early as 7 if you want a long day. I have caught countless pike with very strong releases. I have never used live bait no reason to and i think it is boring to watch a bobber in the same area when there is so much river to cover. I guess if you have plenty of beer it could be ok.

8. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Fred Fuller produced a few pike for me this past weekend.

flash----------------------------out

9. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

is there any place to fish the hoga for pike on foot?

10. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Fred Fuller Park/Kramer Ball Fields.

Plenty of walking access in that area in Kent.

flash---------------------------------out