close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike in NIMI?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishin buddy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I have heard that there are northerns in there and that people have seen them go under the bridge in the spring, but I have yet to see or catch one. Anyone out there had any luck with them? I know they usually destroy spinners at some of the other places I've been but not a single one here. Please help, wife getting on my back to get her one.

Tom

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I know there used to be some. don't see why there wouldn't still be a few. stop at eddies bait and I am sure he will tell you all about them. ask about walleyes while you are there too! Actually, he has a collection jar for the stocking of pike.

3. Dingo

Dingo

Pike stocking ended in the mid-80s if I recall correctly. Was replaced with the first effort for walleye, then saugeye, now walleye stocking. They were worth chasing in late 70s and very early 80s, near the bridge on the south end and the extreme north end at ice out. They stocked some in north reservoir (along with muskies for an Ohio state sponsored study) during that period as well.

4. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I have a question why some lakes are good "pike" lakes and some are not. I fish Congress alot and they were introduced in the 80's. Now the lake is full of them, goliaths and juveniles. But I hear other reports of them being introduced in other lakes (NIMI for example) and they have all but died out. They do well in the Cuyahoga as well. At LaDue they have a healthy reproducing pop, as well as Mosquito I have heard. Why not other lakes in the region too?

What makes these precious few lakes and rivers, different than others as far as pike are concerned?

I know about Musky reproduction and the difficulties they face in this region, but pike can be VERY successful or complete failures. Why?

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

I have a "beginners" question to add,

What is the easiest way to tell the difference between a pike and a muskie?

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Light spots on dark = pike
    Dark spots on light = musky

Muskys gill covers arn't full scaled, pikes are. :)

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The easy way:

pointy tail-musky
    rounded tail- pike

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I've been told by two "old timers" that the state decided to make Nimi a bass lake and netted spawning pike for restocking elsewhere. This supposedly happened in the early '80's.
    Anyone else ever heard of this?
    Much of the shallow bays have either been filled in by sediment or cut off from the main body of water rendering them useless for spawning northern. You can see two of the cut off bays on either side of the road leading into the campground off of Christman. There are at least three other cut-off bays on the Main St. side.
    Also, when the lake used to be good for pike it was a rocky, relatively hard bottom lake. Now it mainly has a soft, squishy (scientific term), muddy and sediment filled bottom and full of weeds. Don't know if that makes any difference as I have caught them in both kinds of lakes.
    I see a guy at Nimi that stocks all the northern he catches elsewhere in Nimi. Seen a couple of 30"ers, a 36" and a 39" released in there. I know it's illegal but what can one do besides mention it to him.

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

10. I know that Aquilla Lake used to have a pretty decent number of pike in it.

11. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

My dad used to catch northerns in Nimisila a long time ago but I've never seen or caught one in there.

12. eddie that runs eddies bait shop is taking a collection to stock pike in nimi, he claims years ago there would be pike by the bridge everyday, i asked him why he wanted to ruin the lake with piek and he said pike would be great for the lake, i beg to differ but hes a crazy old fart anyhow, by the way if you ever stop in there talk politics with him man that really gets him fired up..lol

13. I would like to know how Eddie is going to stock Pike in Nimi without ODNR approval. That might be illegal.heh?