close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pike in Clinton

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Riverman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Riverman

Riverman Banned

Some friends, family and I fished a Tuscarawas River feeder in Clinton that apparently is a Pike spawning spot. I saw 12 caught and I had a couple hits but never got a good hook set. Most were small with the biggest at 26”. We were all fishing chubs and shiners under BulletBobbers and it was pretty crazy with them all zigzagging back and forth in this hole that was only about 40 yards in diameter but it beat the heck out of recasting. The chubs worked best if they were about 4” - 6”. They got torn up quick. There were also 2 Bowfins about 18" long caught and my son found out the hard way that they don’t like being messed with and it cost him a little blood!

I'm guessing there are other feeders to the Tusc where Pike spawn and have easy access with the tow path????

2. my buddy was fishing the canal tonight and he caught a 39 inch muskie on a spinnerbait, it weighed 13 pounds and had a 15 inch girth

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's interesting. I fish the big feeder creek to the Tusc in Clinton and catch mainly carp and a few bowfin. I'm guessing the other smaller feeder creek a little north of there. Do you know the people that own that lake?

4. the lake is private, everyone that has a house on it can fish, but not to many of the owners fish out there and it is hard to get permission, i live on the road right next to it, the reason why there are so many pike in that feeder area is because of what the older gentlemen that have grown up in the area since they were kids told me that the lake which is lake lacerne pry not correct spelling is just filled with pike and about 6 years ago or more they put up a fence by the pipe that leads into the feeder, so my guess is that most of the pike return to the feeder each spring because a lot of them came out of the lake before they put the fence up to block fish from getting into the tusc. but for as long as i can remember it use to be a straight pipe from the lake to the feeder so the pike would return back into the lake and spawn then go back to the river. that is just what i think.

5. Was in the neighborhood today around lunch time, so I stopped by and figured I'd see if any of those pike were hungry for one of my Rapalas.

The secret is out because there were at least three guys fishing that little pool! I don't know if the pike are still there as I opted to skip on the lunch time fishing instead of trying to squeeze a 4th into that hole.

Incidentally, I takled to a guy a couple of year back that said he landed a 48" musky in that same pool..... that probably explained why he had a landing net with a 3' diameter at his side.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's why I didn't post any names.....
    But that pool is usually heavily fished anyways.

7. Man i work in clinton, right on south main a mile south of nimisla. I have never seen a feeder creek, but need to look. I have been dying to catch a pike or musky and never seem to have any luck. If someone could pm me some details, I would apriciate it and keep it a further secret, lol.

8. I grew up in Canal Fulton and basically cut my fishing teeth in the spot you are talking about. As a kid there was hardly a weekend in the summer I wasn't there. We mainly fished the Tusc where the feeder runs into it for carp and catfish at night. I stripped out my share of cheap reels fighting some monster carp there over the years. The place is hardly the worlds best kept secret as people come down there from Akron and fish it all the time. They have since I was a kid. It used to be know more for crappie and big carp than anything else, but in recent years it has turned into a pike hole. 2 friends from work bring me pics on their cell phones of big northerns they catch there all the time. Last week my buddy caught a nice one there. A 40" tiger muskie was also caught there recently but that's hardly the norm. Probably came over the overflow from Lake Lucerne.

9. Riverman

Riverman Banned

It's nice to know there are some really nice fish in Tusc.
    The tow path is a great idea that is bringing attention to the river.
    Continuing pressure on PPG to clean up its mess will be a blessing to the river.
    I want PPG gone, the water clean and made public from lake Dodrothy to the Tusc.

10. Thanks for the info all eyes. I am hoping to get rained out of work in the morning so I can head out there in the afternoon. I dont get much weekdays to fish, actually I dont get any. I really need to hook up on a pike. Its been an illusive fish for me for the last few years.