close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

pike at mosquito and east branch

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by gkicker13, Mar 9, 2005.

1. gkicker13

gkicker13 Knot My Problem

Im a newbie in the pike world and have been told that mosquito and east branch are two of the best in northeastern ohio. I was hoping that i could get any useful information from anyone who knows those two lakes or pike fishing in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the help, good luck.

2. For E.Branch I have had luck at the North end where the feeder creek comes in... I also use to do pretty well ice fishing using tip ups baited with shiners or goldfish..
    Contact Linda via Pm , OGF user CAUSEWAYCREW, about the pike at mosquito... She owns the baitshop on st rt 88

3. Yep, I remember, some years back, catching Pike, and some nice ones, right off the causeway, at the creek channel.
    Mike

4. I have caught a ton of pike at mosquito and I have never actually targeted them. All the pike i caught came on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. One tournament last spring I caught 6 pike! Nothing really big but still a lot of fun.

5. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

From what I heard the north end of Mosquito is good for Pike in early spring. Most are caught on Big spinner baits fished in the shallow bays and creeks.

6. I have heard there is a stump field north of the causeway at Mosquito. Is that area good for pike in the spring too? How about for bass?

7. dont forget pikie bay on the north end. its also got some good bass in there.

8. gkicker13

gkicker13 Knot My Problem

thanks for all the info, i havn't heard any of this about mosquito, also wondering if you are trolling or casting?

9. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

When I usually catch them I am casting for bass. If I were you I would cast for them.

10. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I've caught several pike out of Mosquito, usually at the south end on jigs and twisters while targeting walleye. Most were 20" or less. I did get one later in the year, in June, trolling a Husky Jerk right at dusk. That fish went 38" and is by far the biggest pike I've caught out of Ohio. As far as I know that big girl is still swimming in the lake because I released it.

11. I inadvertantly hooked into a LARGE pike at Mosquito at sunrise while fishing the rocks of the causeway. I was floating minnows under a slip bobber fishing for crappie when it hit. It didn't take long for him to straighten out the light-wire hook I was using. If I had to guess, it would have been about a 30" fish.

12. id catch alot of pike while doing all kinds of fishing mostly bass. always released em. then i finally tasted em. excellent tasting my favorite now.

13. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I've caught quite a few while trolling for walleyes over the years, up at the bouy line. Got them trolling shadraps, tots, divers, and even slow trolling with my electric motor, a jig and worm. Biggest one broke me off. guesstimate..over 30". Didn't keep any of them.

14. i never thought east branch was good for pike

15. many are not very big but they are there in pretty good numbers...

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Unless I'm mistaken, I think at one time East Branch held the record Pike here in Ohio.

Mosquito has some springs in it somewhere that may help the Pike during the summer. I've heard reports in the past on test netting and them seeing plus 22# Pike there.

<><Baitkiller><>

17. Not sure about east branch anymore. I caught a smallerish pike or two in the early spring time, but in late spring when I went back, I found a ton of dead fish. Mostly bass, but some pike too. two of the dead bass I saw were 5# plus, one of the dead pike was at least 25 inches. the were all on the bottom in the shallows. won't be going back there this year, I have a feeling something went pretty wrong there...Mosquito is always a good bet for pike, or the cuyahoga.

18. No worries on E. Branch man.... They have fish kills every year as does ever lake some just more then others... HUGE catfish population there too...

19. Biggest Pike I ever put in the boat at Mosquito, was 40" 18 lbs. It was caught in March on a 1/4 oz jig and minnow, drifting for walleyes. Mosquito is a topnotch Pike lake. Those that fish for them, donot talk. I am guessing, but about 15 years ago a potential state record was caught at Mosquito, I was fishing close to the individual that caught it. The next day, a bigger Pike was caught in the southern part of the state. Mosquito would be a top choice if I were after Pike. West Branch would be a close second, my biggest out of there was 37", and I was disappointed because I was Musky fishing.

20. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've never targeted pike at Mosquito, but I catch a few trolling for walleyes. Some years you'll catch a bunch, some years you won't see a one.