close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pier Fishing?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by twistertail, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Trying to decide if I should go to Michigan salmon fishing next weekend or try for some steelhead off the piers at Lake Erie. I have fished Fairport before but is there a pier to fish from at Ashtabula or Conneaut? Will next weekend be too early for and good steelhead action? Thanks for any help guys.

2. If you feel like saving your money and staying local...I predict the Steelie action of the Fairport Harbor breakwall will start turning on any day now. I spent over 6 hours up there yesterday casting the wall and river mouth from my boat. No luck on the steelhead but they are there. I think with this front passing thru and the colder temps it may turn on any day now. Be very careful out on the rocks on Fairport if you go. I watched a guy fall face first into the rocks yesterday. NOT GOOD!! The lower rocks can get very slippery when wet.

3. Thanks for the info. Is the long wall better? I have only fished on the the short wall by where the boat ramp is one time and dont even know how to get to the long wall.. Also how big a boat would you need to fish inside the break walls? I have a 12 footer with a 7.5 hp.

4. You can fish the mouth of the river with that sized boat. Depending upon the day, you may or may not be able to venture into the area between the walls.

Joel

5. I have about a 4 hour drive and am planning on spending 3 days up in that area, do you think its worth taking the boat that far and pulling it around all weekend or would it be just as good to fish off the walls?

6. The lake was rough today so it will be all stirred up and with the rain the rivers are probably at least a little muddy. You could probably do as well from the wall if you get there very early as you could from the boat would be my guess.