close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

piedmont

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by walleye kid, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Is the ice even thick enough yet?

2. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Once they have got a few good days fishing under their belt someone will post. Until then the only way to find out is to make the drive. I'll give it another week before I drive all the way over there and not catch anything.
    I suck at ice fishing, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this week;)

3. Yea it's a shame that a person has to drive a hundred miles just to have up to date ice conditions on Piedmont. My guess is it's fishable or we would be hearing about the thin ice.

4. shroomhunter

There was a post in the Hard Water forums by Bottomline stating that the ice was 2.5" thick....he did say he hadn't been on it himself. It should be ready but I cannot verify.

5. I didn't see anyone out on the ice went I drove by the other day. I tried to look and see if I could see any sled tracks. Nope :( I was on the way up to Mesquito Lake to ice fish. Did pretty good up there on the Walleye. Northeast report made.

6. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

They are fishing but on 3-4 inches. PERSONALLY I WOULDN'T DRIVE 100 MILES TO CHECK THE ICE. IF WE ARE NOT TALKING, THEN IT MUST NOT BE THAT GOOD OF ICE OR FISHING. AND WE HAVE BEEN POSTING ON THE HARDWATER FORUM.

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

For some reason Piedmont ice fishing is best on late ice.
    Seems like when the edges are getting rotten the Saugeyes bite is great.

8. Went there monday and the ice was about 2.5 to 3 inches thick people were fishing only caught one and didn't see anyone else catch anything was there for about 4 hours so don't get your hopes up.

9. shroomhunter

Thanks for the update.....I know you just want to keep all those Piedmont eyes to yourself!! Can't blame you there, they taste better out of Piedmont.
    I know a couple guys were on it yesterday and I was told that the farther out they got it bagan sagging so they headed back in closer. The one guy is a nut and will fish on the thinnest ice he can get on and he said it scared him.
    See you over there soon but not untill it really is safe.

10. walleye kid even if they were biting u still wouldn't catch any saugeyejoe

11. I'm a new member, fished Piedmont about 20 years ago, moved to Fla and fished salt water inland bay areas. Moved back to Ohio and started fishing Piedmont again in 2008, we finally found a few saugeye in late Fall then started deer hunting. Will keep post on spring / summer action.

Snory

12. brother was there yesterday and didn t get nothing on the roadbed. ice is safe 4 to 5 inches.vibees in all colors and nice cripple creek mminnows theres your report guys. 7 in morning to 3 pm. good luck wish i could go with you.

13. Thanks for the up to date report. Any idea how much company he had?

14. I drove by the dam on 1-24 (Saturday) about 11:30 a.m.. I counted 5 or 6 shanties, plus another half dozen guys fishing on buckets. They were mostly over the old road bed. I did not stop to see if they were catching anything.

15. Trust Me the bite hasn't happened yet. Never fished it this early and know why now. Just hope to be there when it does turn on. Nothing to speak of from the roadbed or the creek channel. For everyone that drives by and says how thick is the ice and are you catching anything. It will hold you and no!

16. Thanks again Husky Hooker. Rattletraprex, personally I 'm not looking to get a report that the bite is on, but it is nice to know that after driving to get there that a person can at least get on the ice and try. Thanks again.

17. i ll keep the reports coming as i can no longer go, but send my heart with my brother and friends

18. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

Rattle, You are right it is early. I haven't even been there yet. I was at leesville and had anywhere from 5 - 10 inches of clear ice. Not a fish. !st time ice fishing this year.

19. Fished 4 o' clock till dark old road bed west of marina.
    Marked tons of fish no takers 17' of water. Been fishing Piedmont not much luck only small sawgeyes