close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Piedmont Saugeye bite

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Corey, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Well Tonto and Griz finally rolled in from Piedmont after 6 days of fishing the high water. They rented a cabin and had their boats tied up at the docks. Although they had stories of others having troubles, they did ok themselves, as far as problems caused by the flooding. As far as fishing goes, they actually did very well on numbers, with Monday being their worst day with 26 Saugeyes and Saturday their best with 74. Most were small fish though, with less than 10% being over 14 inches. The numbers made for a good time though. They said that the same contours that usually hold fish in the Fall are still the best bet but they had to add 8 feet to their target depths for trolling. They said they really didn't have any one method outshine another. They caught 'Eyes on bottom bouncers & crawler harnesses, crankbaits trolled on leadcore, and on Vib-"E"s on the roadbed, which, with the high water, is topping out at 28 to 29 feet. They had their best trolling luck in 27 to 32 feet, which, with an added 8', puts the fish right on those 19 to 22 foot contours when the lake is at normal pool. As the lake begins to drop, the bigger fish should begin to filter back into those depths as they draw back out of the flooded timber and headwater areas. They fished 4 hours today before packing up to leave, and said the bladebait bite on the roadbed was very aggressive and gave up over 30 Saugeyes but only 4 over 14", with the biggest going 18". They aslo caught a couple of decent Channel Cats and one Muskie about 35" while trolling cranks.

2. Sounds like a hell of good trip! Their worst day was twice as many eyes as I have caught all year. Those cats and that musky would be a nice bonus.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Trips like that make me really wanna learn more about saugeye fishing and learn the lures and methods for them. you could put on top of them and I would still not catch any. I guess I will live and learn! :cool:

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Jim..loooks like you and I need to head to Piedmont after the HawgFest! :D
    How in the heck can you launch?

5. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

You can launch right at the gravel as you come down the hill to the Marina. Right where we usually drive in to launch after drawdown. Launching at the Rest Area is pretty easy with the lake up too. I'll be leaving on the 30th for Lake of the Woods and getting back on the 12th of October. Let's plan a freezer stocking trip for soon after that. I'm ready!! Rockbass, stay in touch and we'll take you out and put you on some 'Eyes.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Did I read right??? Was that an offer from the Pro's??? :confused: Wow, now I don't know what to do with myself ;)

Seriously though, I hope I can take you up on that offer! I would love to learn a thing or 2 dozen! :p :D

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Ok Jim....Looking forward to it.
    Good luck buddy!
    I will be on a recon mission before then.
    Rockbass..yep,you heard right. :D

8. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Hey Corey and Lewis, I was told that the marina people taped off the access to that old ramp at the bottom of the hill. I'll be over that way squirrel hunting tomorrow and try to stop by and check. If I do I'll let you know. Good luck on the Lake of the Wood's Corey. When you get back we'll do some eye huntin at Piedmont and Tappan....Later...H-man