close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Piedmont 10/28

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Corey, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

The Bass, both Largemouth & Smallmouth, and Saugeye were definitely in a more cooperative mood yesterday than they were for us last Sunday. We launched at about 10:00 AM and had 5 good keeper Saugeyes in the livewell in the first hour, from 15 to 19 inches, all on Vib-"E"s, 1/4 Silver & 1/2 Gold/Green. All were caught just off of a break that dropped from 5 to 10 feet, just outside a weedline. The bite stopped and we started to move around; Essex Bay-nada, various roadbeds & points uplake-nada, 4-H-nada, Indian Run-nada, so we moved to deeper water and dropped the leadcore. After only one Smallmouth and one small 'Eye on core we moved to the roadbed by the dam and only managed one small S-eye on a Vib-"E". We moved to the point by the iron steps and took one more small 'Eye on the bladebait. We decided to troll back to our first spot of the day to see if anything was happening and picked up one more small S-eye on the core. The Shad were packed outside the shallow weedline and the fish had returned. in the last 2 hours that we were there we picked up another 9 S-eyes and 13 Bass, both Largemouth and Smallmouth, and one small Muskie, all on Vib-"E"s. We ended up keeping 9 out of the 17 S-eyes. The S-eyes were hitting very aggressively, swallowing the lures. Nearly all had to submit to surgery with pliers. The Bass were of very good average size. The biggest went over 3 pounds and, if in a tourney, we figured that we would have taken around 14 pounds to the scales with a 5 fish limit. 6 were Largemouths and 7 were Smallies. The water temp was 56.9 degrees. We need some colder weather to drop the water temps about another 8 to 10 degrees to turn on the deeper water Saugeye bite on the roadbed and for the core trollers.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Sounds like a blast Jim...question though. How do you recommend splicing core with a mono leader? I have a core spooled up on one of my trolling rigs, and haven't tried it out yet. How long of a mono leader do you typically run?

3. Corey

I run a long, 20 fluorocarbon leader. I use the long leader so that when I have a fish up to the net the connecting knot is wound up securely on the reel spool. Although I may trust the knot, it's inherently the weakest point in the setup and I try to do everything I can think of to minimize possible problems. If you prefer a shorter leader, the simplest way is to use a swivel to join the two but reeling up too far can cause damage to your rod tip and eyes. I use two different knots to join the core to the leader. I tie this one when I'm in a hurry or out in the boat; I strip out about 3 inches of lead from the dacron sheath and tie a loose figure 8 knot in the limp end of the dacron. I then run the tag end of the leader through the figure 8 following the tag end of the dacron (if you don't follow the tag end of the dcron, so that the leader exits from the knot just as does the end of the dacron, the leader will not lie straight with the leadcore, but try to jut off at an angle). I then snug down the figure 8 and tie a Uni knot with the leader, snugging it down against the stopper formed by the figure 8. I then tighten both and trim the Fluoro very close to the knot. I leave a very short, maybe 1/32 inch of the dacron, to allow for a tad of slippage.
    I tie this one when I have the time and am getting rods ready at home before a trip; I again strip out about 3 inches of the lead and insert an end of the leader up into the dacron sheath, working it up till it butts against the lead. I stretch the dacron down around the leader, keeping the ends butted together, and apply a drop of fishing glue to the entire 3 inch length of the splice. I've had this kind of leader attachment last for 2 complete seasons, although my leader keeps getting shorter, from breakoffs and reties. It's a pain to do though, and next to impossible out in a boat.

4. ShakeDown

Cool man...I appreciate the info...superglue work? or is there some sort of special "fishing glue" that is needed?

5. Corey

It's just superglue with a name to attract fishermen.

6. ShakeDown

Right on man. I'm gonna try the core this weekend if I get out....should be interesting ;)

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Awesome report! Thanks Jim. I wished my boat was mobile right now, I would try to hit Piedmont tom instead of banking it on the river or creek. Oh well!

8. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Hey Corey....Was there on the 28th with a buddy, not my boat, and we fished till 2P. We kept 12 from 14 to 16 in., his boat his size limit. Got everything on rubber and "nail files" in 15 to 22ft. Didn't hit any bass. Fished hard for what we got. We'll have to have a make up day for our trip....

Hatchetman

9. Corey

Yeah, I still want to get out with you. I'm going out this coming Wednesday with a customer who wants to catch some Saugeyes but after that I should be ok to go. The few deep fish we caught were all dinks, under 14, too. It's a wonder we didn't run into ech other. I was in that little black Bass Attacker with Bill Byers.

10. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

I saw that black boat from a distance, didn't have my binocs so I didn't know who it was. We were in a 14ft white backtroller off Exxex when I saw that boat. Toward the end of next week might work ok, I'll let you know...H/M