PID controllers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ezbite, May 14, 2018.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

yes that's right proportion integral derivative controllers.. can some one tell me why? Man it took me about 6 hours of research to finally figure them out and the application I use them for at the plant. But why, WHY is everything in a foreign language? And by that, I mean words explaining a process needed to be looked up and understood before I could understand the process because I didn't understand the words explaining the process.. but it was fun learning :confused:

fish_fear_me likes this.
  2. fish_fear_me

fish_fear_me Senior Member Supporting Member

Поздравления. Вы заслуживаете печенья. o_O LOL

ezbite, Saugeye Tom and Shortdrift like this.

3. You seem really wound up. I think your integral gain may be a bit high!

Ruminator, fastwater, ezbite and 5 others like this.
  4. JamesF

JamesF

And what does a PID controller do? It took me four weeks to figure out why we had two $75,000.PLC's,installed. When one dedicated unit the size of an office fridge,would have done an even better job of handling the electrical distribution, and the data processing. The only reason turned out,was to eliminate jobs, by having management control the melt process from the supervisors office. Things went south a few months later when they hired a college graduate from Princeton, a Ukrainian on a student visa, he corrupted all of our systems, by running an online simulation, that had a hidden Trojan virus. The melt furnaces never ran properly after wards. Then the plant was closed without notice.

5. A PID controller is what allows you to control a process at a given set point. Think temperature control, speed control, level control, pressure control, etc. What if your furnace, instead of turning on and off within a couple of degrees of your desired temperature, the furnace would always be running and the gas to the burner was automatically increased or decreased to maintain a more precise temperature even if maybe a door was continually opened and closed.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    ezbite likes this.
  6. G.lock

G.lock

I think people who write operational texts are insecure so they try to impress their bosses and screw the people that actually need the manual.

ezbite likes this.
  7. JamesF

JamesF

Now I get it. Thanks. Used to put those together, back then known as programmable controls.worked six years as mechanical line gang.our job was to make the boxes,essentially dummy proof! Then our suppliers, started to sell the pre-made boxes. Cutting crew sizes in many departments.

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

fish_fear_me said, ..."Congratulations. You deserve a cookie!" LOL :cool:

Snakecharmer and ezbite like this.
  9. ezbite

Didn't mean to open an old wound.

But they are still pretty?

JamesF likes this.
  10. ezbite

I have no idea what this means

11. JamesF

JamesF

I was always proud of my work,at that time. You get a certain feeling from start to finish, most only see one portion of a product.

ezbite likes this.
  12. ezbite

That tells me a lot about you. I'm always proud of my work too and get seriously insulted when in question.

JamesF and Dovans like this.
  13. ezbite

Integral gain is a false

14. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

When I first started using a computer for work my buddy, an IT guy, set me up with a home PC. I asked all kinds of questions wanting to know the answers to everything. He told me to just play with the thing and I'd figure it out for myself.

He also said that the one thing that would trip me up would be the jargon! A lot of it is impenetrable.

Also, at one time, if you were studying engineering in the U.S. it was also recommended that you study German since so many engineering papers came from there.

ezbite likes this.
  15. bobk

bobk

You say that all the time.

Snakecharmer, fish_fear_me and ezbite like this.
  16. ezbite

Hmmmm

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  17. KPI

KPI

I have no clue what is going on here !!!!!

fish_fear_me and ezbite like this.
  18. fish_fear_me

fish_fear_me Senior Member Supporting Member

Just funning with ya cause you wrote, "But why, WHY is everything in a foreign language?" Reminded me of when buying most anything these days, you get a one-inch thick manual in 9 different languages or when you call a company's customer support lines, you have to listen for five minutes to a recorded message, in four languages, how to press the number 'ONE!'

Ruminator and ezbite like this.
  19. Quality is no longer important. Quantity is what is important now. But, they still preach Quality but really dont give a ****. I am truly disgusted with today's Corporate world. I am nothing but a Binary number in some computer program.

jeff rod builder likes this.
  20. JamesF

JamesF

My father's friend,was a quality control rep, in Japan,back when everything was made in Japan. He wasn't pleased by the lack of respect by the factory,and it's policy to,only allow him access,in 30 minute increments, boils down to twice a day. He made good money, but was never home, he passed away while in Hong Kong. He was only 40years old. He was someone that could make any one laugh.

Ruminator likes this.