Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would have been in 2010 off blind pass beach on manasota key. I got into the land based shark fishing while living there (hooked a few monsters but this was the biggest I landed). Kayaking your bait out into the sea off the beach and dropping it.
This particular shark was only a "cast out" from shore. After I started catching so many sharks and Rays off the beaches, I stopped swimming out further than waist deep. Haha
The hardest part about this catch was getting it back into the ocean and after it was all said and done, I was WHOOPED!
Wave Skimboarding Wind wave Surfing Ocean

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
This would have been in 2010 off blind pass beach on manasota key. I got into the land based shark fishing while living there (hooked a few monsters but this was the biggest I landed). Kayaking your bait out into the sea off the beach and dropping it.
This particular shark was only a "cast out" from shore. After I started catching so many sharks and Rays off the beaches, I stopped swimming out further than waist deep. Haha
The hardest part about this catch was getting it back into the ocean and after it was all said and done, I was WHOOPED! View attachment 372505
Where did you live down there? We stay in Rotunda every year, at one time 3-4 times a year but just once/year these days. Spent a lot of time on Manasota Key snook fishing at day break. I keep a kayak down there and always intended to get into beach shark fishing, but just never got to it.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you live down there? We stay in Rotunda every year, at one time 3-4 times a year but just once/year these days. Spent a lot of time on Manasota Key snook fishing at day break. I keep a kayak down there and always intended to get into beach shark fishing, but just never got to it.
I lived in Englewood and Port Charlotte for about 8 years and a while up in Oklawaha (Ocala national forest)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have to go back almost 50 years to my youth. Two flatheads caught a couple nights apart, one 36 lb and one 42. My buddy got a 49 the same week....In a ten day period I caught 7 from 18 to 42 pounds and a bunch of small ones. My best week ever. We kept our fish alive for a few days in stock tank on the farm. circa 1974
Fish
Canidae Fish American pit bull terrier

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
That salmon is HUGE! Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of holding one.
Many years ago I took a trip to Niagara, walked down those stone steps. Hooked one,it spooled me and that was my only salmon adventure.
At the time I was absolutely a novice angler and the only rod I owned was a hand me down 6’6” medium action fiberglass spinning rod. I had 20 lbs mono on it and this fish nearly spooled me on a smaller feeder creek of the Salmon River. Luckily my uncle was very experienced and talked me thru a successful landing. We did not have a scale but my uncle thought it was in the 35-38 lb range. I still have the rod (pictured), and still use it occasionally.
Font Material property Cosmetics Eye liner

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oh yeah that's my dad and his beagle snoopy in the picture. Dad died 5 years later, he was always thrilled when I got the big ones. Snoopy was a once in a life time rabbit dog. A guy who hunted our farm gave him to dad as a pup. He was from championship bloodlines, but we never registered him. Dad never cared about pedigrees, just how well he ran rabbits. He was an absolute fantastic rat dog too. We once cleaned out a feed shed for someone who had a rat infestation and snoop killed over 100 rats in one day. For those who wonder, in those days a lot of corn was stored on the cob in outdoor cribs and every farm had rats and a good rat dog was gold. We actually had a terrier that worked along side snoop that taught him the rat game.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts