Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just changed the whole rear end on my gmc safari van w/ 115,000 miles on it. don't rely on the quick change experts to cheeck and fill your differential when you get an oil change. the rear end started to make noise on occaison a few weeks ago,but only around corners? thaught it was a brake locking up or hardware failure put all new brakes and hardware on the rear and it was quit for about a week till wed.night. then all heck broke loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
motorkote them gears before you put them and if you run dry again it won't seize. i motorkote my car and truck all the time

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Was it a locker?U said u changed the whole rear end? If so make sure u check it for leaks in a week or 2 or u might b doing that again!

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
truck , why check it? it still had oil in it from before ? we did clean it out and put in new oil. but i will check it.there is no check plug ,just a fill plug?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
truck , why check it? it still had oil in it from before ? we did clean it out and put in new oil. but i will check it.there is no check plug ,just a fill plug?
the heading of this thread states---pics of gears without oil! Had to have a leak???

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but why do you think the new one from the boneyard needs to be checked in a week or so? it had plenty of oil in it from when i baught it , so i don't think it will leak?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I just did the rear diff in my 96 Bronco. Put new axle seals and Pinion gear seals in it before I put in the new rear end. Checked backlash also. DO NOT want to do that job again. Had 189,000 miles on it. Started making noise about 2 months ago. Thought it was the pinion gear bearing, but that turned out to be good. Ran it noisy til I could afford the new diff. Gears were wearing badly at the inner tips on the ring gear. Turns out the rear end backlash was set wrong.

New diff works great. Took it to Seneca this weekend for some boating. No problems.

Huntinbull

1 - 10 of 10 Posts