close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pickwick Lake, AL

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Floater, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

Anyone fish this lake often? I'm going out with a guide down there in a couple weeks, we'll be going for smallies, stripers, and wipers primarily.

2. catking

catking Banned

Hey Floater ! Never had, but by all means give us all a full report on the trip. Good Luck to you ;) THE CATKING !!!

3. Floater,
    I STAYED AT THE STATE PARK AND FOUND IT TO BE COMFORTABLE AND CONVIENIENT. THEY SELL LAKE MAPS BUT HOT SPOTS MAKES A GREAT MAP AND IT IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN A GUIDE. IT WILL SHOW YOU ALL YOU NEED TO FIND FISH. IF YOU WILL USE A GUIDE HE WILL RUN AN GUN SO DRESS WARMLY. IF YOU DON'T USE A GUIDE YOUR BOAT NEEDS TO BE BIG ENOUGH (MOTOR) TO RUN LONGER RUNS THAN YOU WOULD DO IN CENTRAL OHIO. THERE IS REALLY ALOT OF WATER TO CHOOSE FROM!! THERE IS A MARINA NORTH/WEST OF THE PARK. THIS BRANCH HAS SOME GREAT SPOTS FOR SMALLMOUTH. STRIPERS ARE NOT MY SPECIALTY BUT GO TO THE DAM OR DEEPER WATER. THERE WILL BE A WATER RELEASE SCHEDULE THAT WILL HELP YOU TARGET BASS ON DOWN STREAM POINTS WHEN THE CURRENT IS MOVING. THE BARGE TRAFFIC WILL STUR THINGS UP ON THE MAIN RIVER CHANNEL BUT THE COVE AROUND THE PARK HAS LOTS OF GOOD WATER TO GET OUT OF THE CRAP THAT GETS TURNED UP ALSO A PLACE TO GET OUT OF THE WIND AND OR MAIN CHANNEL DURING THIS TIME.

4. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

Thanks for the replys and advice,

Unfortunately I don't have a boat, so taking a guide is my only option if I want to get out on the water. I will definitely give a full report when I get back.

5. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

I just got back from the trip. We fished all day Tuesday (12/28). We fished a warm water discharge and did well, my friend and I both caught around 15 fish a piece, mostly stripers along with a few spotted bass, wipers, and a couple huge sheephead. The stripers averaged from around 2-3 lbs up to 5-7 lbs. We were using shiners. We went out with Carl Boaz, www.smallmouthguide.com. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for a guide down there.