Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for decent place to take my 6 year old son, he loves to fish but like most kids is slightly impatient. I was curious if anyone wanted to share a couple of good spots to take a youngster out to catch some decent fish (limited to shore). We have fished at Slate Run Park but since the age restricts anyone over 15 it makes it less enjoyable for dear old dad. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and we always do fish and release. There was a similar thread for the Dublin area and that had some great responses but a 40 minute drive I think would probably make him more impatient than a local hole.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are just going for pan fish take a short drive to three creeks park over in Groveport. That is where I got my boys hooked on fishing. There is also a pay pond in pickerington behind the new high school that is good and there are I think four ponds there. I have also taken my kids there. Also try sycamore park that usually produces fish. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I took my 2 nephews (5 and 8 year old) fishing on the 4th. We just went to the local reservoir. They both caught a couple fish and had a blast. I was surprised at how well they did casting and reeling in the fish. Just need to work on baiting the hooks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Get some wax worms/meal worms and take him to the pond in Sycamore Creek Park. You would be hard pressed not to catch 20 bluegill in an hour. There are some cats in the pond so you could throw out a second pole while you are catching the bluegills.

·
share the joy of fishin
21 Posts
I agree with Hatfield. wax or red worms. Fish by the brush right by the parking area to the south of the sidewalk,across from the amphitheater. blue gills galore. Cats on the other side of the lake cat fish bait or shrimp.
Good luck with the young one. Ah I remember those daysAlso do not forget the movies in the

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I think we'll try Sycamore today...we always go and play in the creek didn't even realize there was a pond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts