close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

picked up a new bait caster at galyans today anyone have one whats your take?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Fish4Fun, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

picked up QUANTUM 600CX/
    GALYANS IM8 Combo

tested it in the store seems like a good set up, i caught a small bass on it at pond by work and did some casting doesnt seem bad. will give her a try. anyone else have one and whats your take on them. Note JBJ you need to teach philp S how to put line on a bait caster.

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I have the Accurist PT (3 of them), which is a little smaller and smoother - and I LOVE them!

3. JBJ

JBJ

Gotta love newbies. You bet I'll get Phil squared away on the spooling station asap.

I gotta tell ya that I'm fairly impressed with those ex600cx's. I've never been one for the magnetic brake system. I currently use all shimanos and the challenge is taking the side plate off to adjust the brakes. When those combos first came in, we spooled one up to get a feel for them. They come pretty close to "free-spool" when you turn the brakes all the way down. On days when the wind blows intermittently, having the external brake adjustment is a plus. I've actually been toying with the idea of buying a couple for those windy days. They ain't no superfree but they definitely have their place.
    Enjoy that rig, F4F! Sorry I missed you coming into the store this time. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of days off in a row. Yesterday was spent running my girls around to appointments and today will be mostly spent cutting the grass and working in the yard until the rain hits. I hope to slip down to the river for a little wading later if possible...

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

i used it today at knox threw cranks, worms spinners about everything just to see how it feels. then put on my magic worm and managed 2 small bass. i get some nice cast out of it and all and all it seems to be a good reel. but i will tell you one thing after using it most of the morning then picking up my curado combo. the curado felt like a feather in my hand. there is a little weight difference.

5. JBJ

JBJ

You can now understand why I always show folks the Curado first. You are right about the weight difference. That is why I would only use the ex600cx during windy conditions. That faster brake adjust capability would come in handy.
    I still can't comment on the durability of the Quantum under tournament conditions. Hopefully someone on here has used them while t-fishing and can let us know. If they are closer to the BPS Extremes and Pro Qualifiers, I would say no to tourny fishing with them. I stepped up from those to Shimanos after the first season of tourneys. They just didn't hold up like my Shimanos do.
    My thought would be that they should hold up well with the "Hot Sauce". I have heard nothing but good about this stuff. I just wish they weren't so liberal with it in the Pulse series. Most of the reels are slick with it right out of the box. It's like taking a brand new firearm out of the box the first time...

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I've fished the S/T's with them all year and last year on a club circuit with a few S/T's and normal fishing. They hold up pretty good. I can't compare them to a Shimano becuase I don't use them. I use the accurist PT's. If you ever come to an S/T I'll let you throw one if you like.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Well a big thanks to our galyans contact JBJ, i took the quantum back today and got another curado what i should have done first. Thanks agian JBJ good seeing ya agian.

8. Way to go F4F! I use Shimanos exclusively just like JBJ. He tipped me off that the Curados were on special and clearance and I picked up a non-SF model last week or so. Finally took it down to Griggs for a little test run, and JBJ was right on. I like using it a lot more than a SF with cranks. Well, I did overfill the spool which caused a nasty birdsnest on the first cast, but that's life. F4F, if you like Curados, pick up a Castaic, you may never use another reel to pitch and flip. I know I love mine. I sure hope (as I know JBJ does) that Galyan's doesn't change much after it becomes Dick's. I sure like Galyan's and having JBJ there is just another bonus. Hey Blaise, I see Jim didn't do so well at the SQT? I might run to Grand lake St. Mary's tomorrow to see how Bob does. He's been on fire lately, so he might make some noise.

Eric

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ya warpath i realy like the curados and plan to go exclusive have 2 now and told the wife to get me one for bday in oct and one for xmas. JBJ is a great guy and help. and like you i hope things don't change to much unless there good changes. may have to look into the castaic. I want all curados so when i pick up a rod theres not much change or adjustment and all. and they are great. i have to figure out what to do for really light stuff like rooster tails and such for crappie and things. i like and enjoy the curados so much i cant even use my cheap old spinning reels any more but thinking of investing in a realy nice ultralight.

10. JBJ

JBJ

I only wish I had more of them to sell, F4F got the last one. When those Curado combos went on clearance last year, several guys in my BASS club grabbed them up. We just happened to have our meeting at the store the same day they got marked down.

If anybody was holding off picking up any of the clearance items at Galyans, now is the time to get them. The extra percentage off on those clearance items has been bumped up another 5%. So in additon to the clearance price you also get another 25% off.

I'll be in there all day tomorrow so I hope to see some GFO members popping in. While you're there, check out the Team GFO sticker on the back of my van. I just got it on there today and have been sporting my new cap the last couple of days. I've already turned on two more anglers to the site from them asking about my hat.

11. Hey JBJ are you at the Galyans at Easton or is there anyother one that I don't know about? Do you guys carry fish finders and trolling motors or just tackle and rods/reels?

12. JBJ

JBJ

I work at the Galyans on Sawmill Road in the Dublin area. We carry all the some stock as the Easton store.