close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pick-up Truck Help Requested

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Buick Riviera, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

I'm buying a pick-up truck (Dodge Dakota with the 4.7, V8) primarily to tow my boat. I want either a bed liner or a roll-back tonneau top but I can't decide. Any recommendations? It it possible to have both?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Buick

2. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

My Ram has a bed liner and a roll-n-lock cover. The cover is like a roll top desk made out of alum. It was pricey but it's nice to be able to lock things in the back. It does take up 8 inches or so of the front of the bed.

3. Yes, you can have both. Only you can decide what you need, but they both serve a different purpose so I don't understand the question.

4. Buick Riviera

Hmmm...what purposes do they serve? I thought it was just to keep the bare bed covered.

Buick

5. The liner protects the bed itself from scratches/dents. The cover protects the contents in your bed. The covers can be handy at times, but they can get in the way other times.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

For the bed liner, make sure and take a look at Line-X. It won't trap water and moisture under it like the plastic, lay in liners.

7. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

spray in liners are the best in my opinion. covers are a matter of preferance and need.

8. for a spray liner that wont break the bank check out herculiner, for covers ill see if they still are up and running but checkmate had great prices on bed covers.

9. Get a spray in liner, wont rub your paint off the bed!! wont blow out, wont get stolen , wont get rocks under it! should i keep going??

10. yep id have to say id get a spray in to i have a regular liner and have had some issues with it shifting some paint still chipping under and around the edges of it

11. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I lined my S-10 with Herculiner and I have soft top tonneau cover. I love the liner because it does not trap moisture as stated and it prevents the bed from bring scratched up. It also helps to hold things in the bed better too...no sliding around like it would on a smooth bed. The cover is nice because I can keep things which I do not want exposed covered up or if the weather is bad on the way home from a fishing trip, I do not have to worry about the fishing gears getting wet or damaged. The cover comes off easily too so it is not like you have to get tools out to remove it. It pretty much just snaps in place with the support bars going across the bed. The bars also comes out easily too. They are just spring loaded at one end and pops in and out easily. My next truck will have the same setup too...that is how much I like it.

12. The other problem with the drop in liners is that everything you put in there will slide all over the place. It gets annoying on winding roads.

13. I agree with the "anti-bedliner" contingent. Had one (factory) in a new truck that rubbed thru the paint and into the metal across the back of the bed in 1 1/2 years. They trap condensation and rainwater and anything you haul ends up in the front of the bed, even if you don't want it there. I have a spray-in (Rhino) and a roll-up cover (Truxedo) and couldn't be happier, though I think the Line-X might be a bit tougher. I have a good contact for the roll up covers, if you want it.

Tim

14. I have to agree with everyone on the plastic drop in bedliners. They tend to suck pretty bad. I'd go with either a spray on liner or a rubber bed mat.

15. Buick Riviera

Thank you for the quick and helpful replies everybody. I took delivery of the truck on Friday. Spray-in liner and roll back cover it is! Thanks again.

Buick

16. What year is the Dakota you purchased (don't think I saw a year posted). Anyways...I've got a roll back tonneau cover that fits the '93-'96 bed style that I no longer use. If your truck is that body style, I'm sure we can work something out. It's been stored for a quite a few years, but was in good shape (I think there is one snap missing). Let me know.

17. Spray-on bedliner is the only way to go. It's worth the extra money IMO.