Pi 2/216

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Bapenn, Feb 17, 2008.

1. The main bay had 4-5 inches of ice. There was alot of people out there also. I went out of the second lot and ended up walking over to the third looking for weed beds. Finally found one and sat on it all day. Water was still stained but the fish were bitting. The perch were hitting all day. I ended keeping 5 out of about 30 fish caught. The biggest was bout 12in. I had many borderline keepers so I let them live to become bigger. Also hooked into something twice that stripped my line and broke off. I walked around and a few people were catching trout so I think that is what it was. About noon alot of people were streaming in the the main bay from Misery bay and couple of them said they had no bites at all there. I found out one thing is that the bigger perch like the shiner hooked behind the dorsal fin. They would not touch it if hooked in the nose or tail. So there is a tip I learned that could become valuable. The shoreline probaly won't be good after this rain but who knows.

2. Hope the ice holds up. We are heading overto PI this Thursday until sunday.

3. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I think we are going the following weekend.... If it holds and we don't change our mind...

Good Luck next weekend!

4. I'll be there Saturday and maybe Sunday..

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I was there saturday too. My group did pretty good on the crappies. We took a total of 40 between 4 of us and another couple dz gills. We were up at the monument. Lot of guys there too. I plan on going back sometime this week and fish out of launch 2.

6. Chaunc... What day? I'm off all week buddy!:)

7. Chaunc, when you say the monument do you mean Misery Bay?

8. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Too be honest with you, I dont know if it was misery. A guy from the erie site invited me to come up but didn't tell me where misery is located. So i just rode around the peninsula till i saw a lot of shanties.:D Never been that far up the bay. I could see the monument and a big ship from where we were. Gotta find a map of the peninsula to find out where i was.:)
    Carl, i'm checking the PA site to see what this rain did to the ice there. If it's okay, wednesday's a go for me. I'll try to get there by 7 and i may fish all day. Early bite was good. Afternoon sucked. Nothing after 4.

9. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

10. On the map west of Misery Bay I see other ponds and lagoons, are any of these any good to fish? (Big pond, Marina Lake, or Long pond)

11. I'll keep an eye out on it too. I'll call you when and if I get up there.

Later.

12. Can I get my license at the bait shop right at the entrance to the park? I think one of the shops closed. Also any problems getting minnows or wax worms this year at the same bait shop?

13. Chopiq,

You can get your license and bait at Bac's at the top of the hill right hand side before heading down and into the park. It is the only Bait shop that I know of now unless you go towards Erie. They have all of the needed bait, but one time that we went up he was out of wax worms wich we use the most so now we always bring some with us. Good luck!

14. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

15. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

It would be best to get your license before you come up. He may not have them and then you'll have to find a walmart somewhere to get them. As for bait, bring it with you. Prices for the bait count at Bacs is high.
    You can get your PA license on-line now. www.fish.state.pa.us You can even make copies to put away in case you lose one.
    https://www.theoutdoorshop.state.pa...sp?ShopperID=2FE191034EE94633892F33CB8E5CF04B

16. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

It's hard to believe Presque Isle isn't giving up the fish as it did in the past.Then again, this weather hasn't been the best for us icers. The last year I fished it was the first year of the license increase, about 3-4 years ago.I used to get my bait in advance because most of the baitshop owners were never on time in the morning.And like Chaunc mentioned the terrible counts you get on the minnow and larve baits.I would make sure I was through the gates at exactly 5am and headed straight for the boat ramp.Had to hustle to get 1/4-1/2 mile straight out and tried to get the most out of the dark before the sun came up.I could never fish but with 1 rod because the perch were always on fire.When the sun popped up the perch would stop. I would fish there till noon with the schools of perch coming and going, but nothing like it is before the sun comes up.I would then head to the shallows to finish up my limit on the gills.This is just a thought, get to bed a little earlier and fish the last 2 hours of dark.It just might make your trip a successful one.............Mark

17. I bit my tongue when I read what that guy(in the attached PI link) said about the ten" hole drilled with a "power" auger! I've never seen-or needed- a ten inch hole with my power auger which I had to get because of a dislocated shoulder which prohibits turning the hand auger these days. I think you straigthened him out. A hole big enough for a man to put his leg in was most likely made by a "newby" with an "axe" or spudbar-common occurance on the ice everywhere. We all probably started that way.

18. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Word is that misery bay is still holding good ice so i'm headed up in the morning. Saturday the crappies were biting pretty good. Hopefully they still are. See you guys in the morning, if you get up there.

19. Chaunc, and tips on where and what to fish with for the crappies? We'll be there Thursday morning until Sunday.

20. Heading out to Presque tomorrow morning. Should be on the ice by this time tomorrow. Big daddy, I'll call you Friday night and let you know how we are doing.