close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Photo Editing Software

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Ruminator, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Now that I have my scanner up and running again, I want to build an OGF Photo Gallery. From my first attempt I can see that I need something to resize with. At the same time 'd like to buy something that I can play around with photos like some of you do. Adding and deleting things out... making them look real. That looks like a lot of fun.

So I want to know what all of you members are using and recommend. I expect to drop $100.00 maybe for something good, but once you have it, it should last.

Thanks, I would appreciate as many responses as possible.

- Jim

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Photoshop is the king dawg, but you won't find it for $100. It's also not the most user-friendly (as far as photo apps go) as its a professional software and not geared towards the home user.

Photoshop Elements on the other hand, has a lot of photo specific features and are one-click actions. You can prolly find it for $30.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I forgot about Paintshop pro...that used to be considered the "poor mans photoshop" as it had a lot of the same features, at a fraction of the cost. I haven't used recent versions of it, but the older ones I've used were quite sweet!

4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

"Not geared towards the home user" - I hear that.!

I want something more simple to start out with. PCMAG likes both the Elements, and PaintShop pro Studio.
    They look like something I might be after.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

My favorite is MGI Photosuite4 Platinum....They may have upgraded it to a 5 or 6 by now. It was $50.00 but last time I checked a year or so ago, it was about $30 or less. It's very user friendly. You've seen some of the stuff I've done( recently adjusted the color & took out some red-eye, cropped & resized the new state recordbreaker's saugeye...it's in that post), so that speaks for it. Also had great ease of use to resize, make panoramic shots, etc. You can adjust the contrast, brightness, color, hues, gamma, etc, etc. Nothing to it. :D

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Awh, heck...they are giving it away now !!! :eek: Almost free !! (click)
    Hey, checked Roxio's site-they own MGI now, there's a version 7 out, only $29.95 hads free shipping & they even add some free cd's to boot !!
    Can't beat this !! (click) Also by buying from the manufacturer, there's never a problem with any warranties either...... ;)

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

picasa will let you resize, and it's free.