Phone Etiquette ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Papascott, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Just needing to vent a little. I take care of appartments for a living. I occasionally have to transfer the phone lines to my cell, like when the bosses ae on a trip. I am sitting here watching a little TV trying to get to sleep when my phone rings. I answer it and the caller states that he is calling about the ad in the paper for an apartment. I aked him if he knew it was almost 11:00pm and told him to call back during regular buisness hours, and hung up. Two second later this guy calls back saying "You are "F"ing rude how dare you "F"ing hang up on me and that you have no "F"ing idea who your "F"ing with. I said sure I do someone elses future tenant not mine and hung up again.

I am 34 years old but never in my life would I have the nerve to call anyone, unless it was an emergency or they were expecting a late call from me, at 11pm. I would never use the language over the phone this guy did, at least not without blocking my phone number:) What a real class act this guy was. I am half tempted to post his number all over the internet. I might just have to call it at 10am tomorrow and wake this guy up.;)

2. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

sounds like the guy was drunk or is just a plain jackazz.. when was the ad put in the paper? im just throwing it out there, if it just went in today and he works a afternoon shift and thought he would call and hopefully get it before anyone else doesand this was his shot to call? not saying it was right to call at 11pm at night, i know i would never call anyone that late at night.
    i would have done the same thing that u did, but i wouldnt call at 10 am it would have to be at around 5 am if i was to call him back lol

3. The ad has been in the paper for at least 2 years, in one form or another. I was making a funny that this type of bum would still be asleep at 10 am:)

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

sent me his number, im always up:p

5. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Ha Ha, maybe we can take him trolling for land sharks.

6. I'll be up for a little while longer. PM me the # also. LOL

7. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I'll also call him at 3 am and ask him if he knows what the he11 RUDE is? :)

8. I am afraid that what you ran into on the phone is becoming more commonplace. The world revolves around them and the rest of us lowly souls only mission is to serve them. Only their opinions mean anything and if ours are different then we must be wrong.

Wished some of these deadheads grew up in my old " hood " back in the 50's. They would have a lot more tolerance and understanding or a mighty beaten-up countenance.

9. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

Not to second guess you or anything, just confused some. When one thinks of an era of tolerance and understanding the 50's don't really pop into mind. Also you seem to be fairly angry and closeminded on the issue to be preaching such tolerance. While I'll admit it's stupid, but 11Pm is not horribly late any more in a world that is so moving I mean thats only 8 on the west coast, and you seem to not give the chance to a mis-understanding. from the post it seems that the ad's calls are forwarded to his cell phone, perhaps the guy thought he was going to be calling an office and get a machine, only to be in his mind insulted, perhaps he works nightshift, A different time-zone. There could be a million reasons why it happened, he might not have a reason at all, but if we want to talk about tolerance, try it first. Now if we all just wanna get into old man mode and complain about them damn "youngin's" thats fine, but I don't think there will be room for tolerance there.

Not defending the guy because the return call shows he either is in one of those cases above, or is in fact a moron, either way, calling him back in the middle of the night won't accomplish anything he will probably be up playing x-box 360. Any ways it's 2:15am I'm gonna go back to apartment shopping and playing my x-box.

10. Fact of matter , you missed the one point I was trying to make. Regardless of what shift he was working , if his wife cut him off for six months or for whatever reason. You are not supposed to talk to anyone over the phone like that. It a thing called manners. Lack of manners shows a lack of " fetchin up ".

Back in the day lack of manners got one a whipping from their parents. If you exhibited a lack of manners around your cohorts they split your lip. In school they paddled your behind .Hence when you grew up back then you realized right away the world did not orbit around you. If you want to call it an old man grousin feel free. In all reality though thre is NO excuse for bad behavior wether in person , on the net , or over a phone.

11. Well said, papaperch !!! Mom had the quickest back hand in the world & practiced it often on me. If that didn't fix the problem, Dad's belt did. The kind of behavior that the caller exhibited is a classic example of poor parenting ; maybe he needs a "time out" ........ what a bunch of crap.
    Old geezer out,
    Tim

12. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

yeah there were no people like that during the days of physical punishment, Puh-lease. the extremes go both way with your argument, seems to me your just finding a convenient scape goat to pin it on. Again what the guy did was stupid, but come on, If I follow your logic I will be blaming doctor phil for all the weekend child psychologists on the board. The guys a jerk there could be a million reasons why, heck if any of you have ever lived in a city larger than Columbus you would know how and why people hate each other.

13. Papascott, i let the answermachine get 99% of the calls that ring my house # to many automatic calls still dialing my #

14. As someone who takes care of apartments for a living, surely you've been spoken to over the phone that way more than once???

I would have to say: Chalk it up as an occupational hazard.

15. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I work as a telephone operator for a hospital in Columbus and I can say first hand that telephone etiquette is a dying practice. Sure it's my job, as I'm on the front line for the hospital, to deal with irate callers before transferring, yet it baffles me sometimes to see how rude some people can be. I'm not talking about people who are calling in regards to a family member. Their disdain is overlooked as it's understood. But even some of the dialog from those calls is sometimes uncalled for. I don't have the luxury of saying what I want to say to some of the irate callers we get, but one thing I learned from this job and other jobs I've worked in the past is to kill someone with kindness. Sometimes the meaner they are, the kinder I am. I figure that way if they have any conscience at all, they'll kick themselves later for how they treated me.

16. Anymore if the call is not regarding: fishing, hunting, or free beer 11pm is too late.

17. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i hate that guy:mad:

18. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Ahhh yes, I remember thoes good ol days too. I think you should do a Erin Pavlina Pm for a free Shimano Stella reel with his phone number ;) .

19. Not trying to stir the pot but you did "hang up" on him? and that is pretty rude. If you don't want the phone to disturb you next time the mrs. makes you sleep on the couch then silence the ringer, problem solved. Maybe then you wouldn't be so grumpy! :D I'm only kidding, just trying to see if you are in a better mood today!

20. As a matter of fact the phone has not stopped ringing all day. Oh well it all pays the same. And I cannot be on the computer if I am actually working:)