Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
In my opinion,having bought a GSX Tournament Pro early this spring,I would rather fish with a Zebco 202.This is the worst reel I have ever had.The line tangles in ways that seem impossible.I have tried mono,co-poly,flouro and braid.Same results.Tried it on 3 different rods.Same thing.Tried to take it back,but Gander said no since I had it longer than 30 days (it was early spring and too cold to use it).Emailed their corporate office and did not get a reply.I will never shop at Gander Mtn again.Just my opinion,but buyer beware.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion,but thats not the case.I have fished for over 40 years and never had a reel like this.They guy i talked to at Gander said maybe I got a bad reel,but they still would do nothing about it.I just chalked it up to "live and learn" and replaced it with a Diawa.No more "house" brands for me.Only Okuma and Daiwa from now on.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That sucks. I'd guess there isn't a good lip on the spool? Maybe another brand spool will fit? Yeah don't buy combo's ever. I'm pretty picky about my rod and reels and spend the extra money to get what I want.

Sorry to hear you had that happen. Yep Buyer Beware!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a extra spool for that reel,but have not put it on.I just cant use the thing.It ruins the whole fishing experience.Granted it wasnt an expensive reel,but it still should work.I also dont understand why they give you a parts list with the reel.Cant get parts anywhere.My buddies clicker broke on his catfishing reel.Contacted Gander and they told him no parts available.He called Pure Fishing,since Gander told him it was made by Pfluger.They told him no parts for Gander reels.There is just something wrong with my line management system on my reel.So now it sits in its box,and will stay there.

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
man that sucks! i had a GSX reel (not the pro) i bought a few years ago and for the the most part loved it. I actually snapped the tip off the rod and took it back and they gladly replaced everything. the salesman actually gave me an 80 dollar rod with the reel instead of the combo, because they were out of the combo deals (80 dollar combo). I don't think it was out of kindness either, I think he just hated his job and wanted me out of his hair.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They,like most other retailers these days,push their "replacement-extended warranty" on customers.Big money maker for them.Pure profit since it is not an item they need in inventory and most are never used.The thing that made me the most mad was that their website shows they had a 90 return policy and the store said only 30 days.That and the fact that their customer service never responded to my email.An example of customer service is this-I was going to replace the GSX with a Lews speed spin (went with Diawa though) but was concerned that the reels looked like they were made by the same company in China.i emailed lews,and within 12 hours I had 2 replies,one from a higher up guy giving me suggestions on how to maybe fix the problems with the GSX.That is how companies like Lews and Gander differ.I may only be one customer,but they have lost my business.

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
They,like most other retailers these days,push their "replacement-extended warranty" on customers.Big money maker for them.Pure profit since it is not an item they need in inventory and most are never used.The thing that made me the most mad was that their website shows they had a 90 return policy and the store said only 30 days.That and the fact that their customer service never responded to my email.An example of customer service is this-I was going to replace the GSX with a Lews speed spin (went with Diawa though) but was concerned that the reels looked like they were made by the same company in China.i emailed lews,and within 12 hours I had 2 replies,one from a higher up guy giving me suggestions on how to maybe fix the problems with the GSX.That is how companies like Lews and Gander differ.I may only be one customer,but they have lost my business.
I'm the same way i complete believe in good customer service and good customer loyalty.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have a extra spool for that reel,but have not put it on.I just cant use the thing.It ruins the whole fishing experience.Granted it wasnt an expensive reel,but it still should work.I also dont understand why they give you a parts list with the reel.Cant get parts anywhere.My buddies clicker broke on his catfishing reel.Contacted Gander and they told him no parts available.He called Pure Fishing,since Gander told him it was made by Pfluger.They told him no parts for Gander reels.There is just something wrong with my line management system on my reel.So now it sits in its box,and will stay there.
It intrigues me as to why you're hanging onto the reel if it doesn't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.