close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Petition to Help Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by mrfishohio, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

2. catking

catking Banned

Signed it Jim. I was #415. I really believe that this type of practice will end, I just hope it comes in the next couple years. Thanks for posting this. CATKING.

3. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Signed.......#418

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I was #414 earlier today. Hopefully they look at this petition and do something about it!

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

#419-Me
    #420-Dad
    #421-Wife

I hate, yes HATE PETS, but heck send this to their web site, you'll see a few thousand signatures real quick.

6. mrfishohio

Got an email today, from the guy involved with the petition, here's part of it... ;)
    :D

I wrote him back with a link to Ohio Gamefishing :eek:

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Signature 423 here!

8. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Heck, I have never caught one over 15 lbs, much less 50. I need all the help I can get!

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

UFM.....I'm still Flatless in my quests LOL.

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

signed!

Kim

11. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Well, the guy from NAFC(spell?) hasn't gotten back to me yet, but this should be going out in a rather big montly newsletter soon...either this month or next...at some point I'm going to have to print out this petition as I believe it ends in April....I will then repost it for another 6 months...this may take awhile, but as soon as I can get my foot in the door with the right people, it'll happen!

12. mrfishohio

Gill nets ARE legal in inland waters, the Ohio River

(2) Gill net or trammel net.

(a) May be used only in Ohio and Mississippi Rivers and overflow lakes directly connected with each river or as specified in 301 KAR 1:140. Minimum mesh size is three (3) inches in the Mississippi and its overflow lakes and four (4) inches in the Ohio River and its overflow lakes.

(b) May be fished weighted or as a flag net.

(c) Shall have one (1) commercial gear tag attached to each 100 feet or part thereof.
    That's from their regulations (click).

As for hoop nets....(a) Shall have a minimum mesh size of three (3) inches, except in the Ohio River, the Mississippi River, those portions of the Cumberland River below Barkley Dam and the Tennessee River below Kentucky Dam that are open to commercial fishing where the minimum mesh size shall be one (1) inch.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Signature 428, I'll forward it on to some people!

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Don't fish for cats myself but pay lakes generally annoy me. :mad:
    SIGNED!
    EH

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Somehow someday I hope to see all nets outlawed.

16. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I'll be sure to tell everyone I know. Thanks MFO.

17. mrfishohio

:D There's a new petition in the works and also some real movement going on behind the scenes. This is the same petition that went around last year, I didn't realize it when I posted it. I'm on the first page signed on. I was sent it just a few days ago. It gets an idea across (however, there's no loophole, there's simply no laws in place), the next one will be a new and improved version. Will be correctly worded by an English professor also. It will have the backing of many sites and magazines and newsletters. Sportsmen will get behind it & changes will be made. It's not just an Ohio issue, it's a Sportsmen issue. Jim

PS: When it all comes together, I'll be posting a major post in a new thread.

Note: Anyone with pictures of dead fish from any paylakes, in dumpsters or garbage cans or in the woods out back, please PM me. These will be a huge help to influence the DNR

18. catking

catking Banned

Thanks Jim for posting this. I really hope somebody wakes up and starts to listen to the people that know there is a problem. I've seen many states in the past 5 years or so starting to take a hard look at their respected water ways. CATKING.

19. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Just keep me informed...if another petition goes out, I don't wanna make the current one obsolete...I guess we could always just attach it and cross check the names so we don't have any repeats...gotta make sure it's valid straight across the board if we want to have an organized impact...I know in the grand scheme of things 430 signatures isn't a whole lot, but every bit helps...just let me know...thanks

-Jim